• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle shaft question...

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
I have a good friend and colleage who owns a 1994 YJ and he asked me for some help and I know nothing about them. If it had been on an XJ I would know. His right front axle shaft is worn and leaks oil around the seal even when replaced with a new seal. Is there any good places to buy a used shaft or even a new one that you know of? Is it the same as the XJ shafts of the same year model? Is this the disco model? Any info would be appreciated.

if it is the disco axle, you can tell by looking on the passenger backside of the axle. if it has a round-ish housing with lines, then it's disco.

and it's pretty much the same as with an XJ axle. so if you know XJ's, then go with what you know.

All YJ's have the vacuum disconnect, and it's basically the same axle as the XJ with disco. He'll need to replace the seal again, or, if there's a groove worn in the shaft where the seal rides, replace the shaft.

If there's a groove, he may be able to get by without seating the seal completely in the housing so it rides on a slightly different area of the shaft.

Back