• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock rite vs. aussie

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
yes i searched and came up with a lot of pther combinations but no lock rite vs. aussie. i am looking at a lockrite and it is $255.00 with shipping and an aussie is $250.00 with shipping. since they are the same price which one would any of you recommend? is one stronger or have better craftsman ship than the other?

Are you putting it in a Dana 30 or 35? I have a Lock Right in both of mine and they work like a champ. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. The front one makes it steer kind of funny, but any locker will do that. I have zero experience with an Aussie locker. They look almost identical to me. I would go with the Lock Right just because it would be easier to get replacement parts if needed. A buddy bought a used Lock Right that was missing a pin. No big deal, a quick call to Richmond (Powertrax), a couple of dollars later and the pin was on its way. He got it in a couple of days and everything was good again. I’m sure you could get replacement parts for an Aussie locker, but it might take a while.

allrighty then cool. i will definetly get a lockrite then, i was kinda leaning that way anyways because i have heard more things about them then i have an aussie locker, but it kinda seems like they are pretty much the same thing. they seem good because no one really ever bashes them. i am puting it in a dana 30, i have a factory LSD in the rear(chrysler 8.25 27 spline) and it works ok. i would like to get a detroit but im trying to save up to regear and with a detroit, 4.56 gears and install kits its just too much and im not a hard core crazy rock crawler so going with just the lockrite will do me ok im sure. I kinda take it easy on the rocks just cause ive heard so many bad things coming from crawling on stock axles and i dont have skid plates except a HD xmember from rustys. i just hate it when everyones yellin: you need a locker your tires just spinnin. it sucks when one tire spins and the other does nothing knowing that $250 later you can eliminate that completely and go over so much more stuff. anyways thanks for the advice!

ummm no on the lock rite

I have had both and like the aussie better
easier to install and
the have a no question asked warranty
if youi break it the replace it

for the lockright youi have to send it in and wait for them to examine it (about 4 weeks last I heard)
then if they decide that youi were not runnin chromo axles and yoiur tire size is appropriate then you get the locker fixed free

I have read on the internet where folks have had problems to get em to pony up a new lockrite

and lastly the aussie seems to me to engage and DISENGAGE EASIER..

I had a lot of problems with the lockrite staying locked and after a climb .then trying to turn sharply
just my 2 cents

x2 on the Aussie being better... Several of the guys I wheel with have them in the front end of their rigs and when they are in 2wd you can't hear them at all and when in 4wd they pull like a champ. I'm also pretty sure some of the same guys that developed the detroit helped develop the aussie, so you know it's quality.

I have no experience with an aussie but I can say that i have been beating on a lockrite in a Dana 44 in the front of my bronco since 1993 and just recently I pulled it out of my Bronco and put it in the back of my Cherokee and it still works great. It clicks in parking lots but driving down the road it is like its not there. Works great on trails too.I beat on my Bronco which has 35's and is far heavier than my Cherokee but when I pulled it out of the bronco it was fine with no broken pins and only minor, normal wear.

I have a LockRight in the D30. No complaints on it. It is kinda noisy, but you only hear it ratchet when the windows are down. No biggie to me, cause I know what it is. It pulls like a champ offroad and hardly noticable on the street.

Aussie for the 8.8 should be here today. I've heard nothing but good things about them and I found a good buy on it. $139 shipped. I have no doubts I'll be happy with it. If I'm not, I'm sure I'll post a rant for all to see.

A big factor to consider is that powertrax will only honor their warantee if your tires are under a certain size.. if you run that lock-rite with 35's and break it, you were outside of the terms of use. Aussie does not put any such limitation on you and will honor the warantee no matter the tire size.

Who is more confident of their product?

I went through this same question a few months ago. I was advised to go with the Detroit EZ locker. The general feeling expressed then was that with the noted exception of the genuine gear quickloc these lockers are all pretty much the same thing. An installer noted that Detroit EZ and Lockrite are a little easier to install but as far as operation was concerned, they were basically the same.

clay

hondastomper said:
They've been saying the 8.25 29 spline Aussie will be available in the spring for the past 2 years...

I concur.... In 03 they said it would be a few months till theyre ready.....

cal said:
A big factor to consider is that powertrax will only honor their warantee if your tires are under a certain size.. if you run that lock-rite with 35's and break it, you were outside of the terms of use. Aussie does not put any such limitation on you and will honor the warantee no matter the tire size.

Who is more confident of their product?

But are they really going to send the tire police out to check and see if your running larger than advertized tires?? :laugh3:

Jeffro600 said:
But are they really going to send the tire police out to check and see if your running larger than advertized tires?? :laugh3:

The point was not that they will come check, the point was that aussie is confident enough in their products not to stipulate things like nothing bigger than 32's, where as powertrax is not. Not that I think it matters, i have had lock-rite's, no-slip's and an aussie and cant really tell the difference between them.

I have an aussie in my front D30, aqnd I have to say it's GREAT! I have been in and worked on several rigs with a lock-rite and the Aussie is much smoother. I never have a problem with it engaging or dis-engaging.

From what I understand, the Aussie was acutallty designed by an engineer that helped with the development of the lock-rite. It is supposed to be a "refiened" lock rite.

I have held both in my hands and think the Aussie is made better, it's more simple, and easier to install.

dont mean to hyjack, but (ie i will anyways) how is the preformance of the aussie or lockright in a D30 front. does disco vs non-disco make a difference in that? thanks

stewie

If you have a vacume disco it's invisable, With a non-disco it makes some noise around turns, especially tight turns, but this is tolerable, just takes getting used to the noise. Plus the looks people give you when they think the wheel is coming off are great.

I have a homemade posi lock in mine so I have tried it engaged and disengaged.

Back