• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT LA, complete kit or hodge podge?

AbacusXJ

NAXJA Forum User
New to this forum and to XJs...former TJ owner.

Just bought a 2000 XJ sport w/ 8.25 rear. I've got funds ready for a lift and all the bells and whistles, and thinking of going with the TnT long arms. The question I have is:

website lists two items,

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV3/xjylink.asp

one is clearly an add-on to a CURRENT suspension lift of 4.5 or higher.

The other appears to be a COMPLETE lift kit.

Just looking for some expert opinions on the situation. Is the 'complete' kit truly that? and is it a better value than putting on the add-on kit with a compilation of other parts ( ie springs, leaves, shackles, trac bar...etc )? And not just $$ value up front, but value in terms of getting my money's worth?

Thanks in advance!

A few guys on this board love the Ylink and ive heard only good stuff about it. TnT makes great stuff. Hopefully somone with experience in this exact kit will chime in.

don't know how set you are on buying that tnt kit
but you can also look at the rock krawler long arm kit and save yourself about 5-700 dollars in the long run. Though a lot of people will complain that the rk kit only has a single upper arm, i can tell you from experience that i drive my truck every single day, back and forth between school, work, and home and it drives like a dream. You don't notice anything, drives better than stock. I drive in jersey to where its pot hole city, and the truck just glides

check them out www.rockkrawler.com
if your interested in them, pm me and ill get you some info.

Matt

...how much welding is involved?

...i missed that on their website and in my searches...just heard about it on another forum...

I didn't know about the welding...

I don't/can't weld...

...scared.

with the rk kit the only welding required is the welding of the lca brackets. The coolest thing about those is you can bolt them in place, take it to a shop where they weld have them throw the welds on for you. Then you can drive home and do the rest of the install. It truely is very simple installation. I doubt a shop would charge you more than like 20 bucks to throw down about the 10 minutes of welding time.

Matt

91 Jeep Project said:
The TnT kit is 100% bolt on, and combined with Rubicon lift parts. You just can't go wrong there.

The kit that comes "complete" with the rubicon parts comes with their "U-Bolt Eliminators" which provide some of the lift height, and they most definately require welding to be installed.

Jeffro600 said:
One thing you guys are forgetting with the TNT kit....the super beefy belly pan/skid plate!!
That is a plus over the RK set up but it's alot of money. Who would be doing the install? Shop? The RK does require the welding but if you are having a shop do it then it doesn't matter either way. You could save a ton of cash in labor by doing it yourself though I think it would even out shop labor for a welded kit vs buying a real expensive DIY kit. I like to do all the work meself so that's the way I lean. TnT makes a great product and in conjunction with the RE stuff you can't go wrong-though I think all RK stuff is made by the same as RE.

-b

JoeShmo said:
The kit that comes "complete" with the rubicon parts comes with their "U-Bolt Eliminators" which provide some of the lift height, and they most definately require welding to be installed.

I did forget about the eliminators. I'd have no for 'em anyways, and they are not essential to the lift. So the actual functioning suspension components are still bolt on..................:thumbup:

wait... what do you have to weld.. i just bought the TNT LA kit and it said completly bolt on.. thats the reason why i bought it...

Justpunchit said:
wait... what do you have to weld.. i just bought the TNT LA kit and it said completly bolt on.. thats the reason why i bought it...

If you opt for the ubolt eliminators they must be welded on. If not the kit is entirely bolt on.

I run this kit absolutely love it. Mine was the add-on kit, wish they would have had the whole kit when I started. would have been alot cheaper in the long run.

there is NO welding on the TnT y-link kit, the RC kit needs welding.

I am sure that the "Kit" has to have the u-bolt elim's welded on. You can just opt to outsource some 4.5/5.5 leafs springs to avoid the welding. To get the real answer call Bob @ TnT 307-775-9565. I just ordered my y-link "Up-Grade" and am "hodge podging" together a kit. Partly because it is more interesting that way and I can get exactly the parts I want. Iceland XJ Build thread has my plan in it. IMO........

Back