• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Rr Axle Noise...

DXERKT2

NAXJA Forum User
My 99's rear 8.25 (with crap-lok) has developed a noise recently (last 500 miles or so). The closest I can come to what it sounds like is a- get this- a dog whimpering/whining at a low volume.

Diagnosis at this point: Appears to be noisiest from left outter end of axle
(noise is louder inside my jeep than outside)-
Only heard when turning right -
Only at low speeds- 5mph or less-
Coasting, on the gas, braking, reverse- no difference
Only after the jeep has been driven 10-15 miles
or more- (or when the lube warms up)

A check of the rear brake/drum area reveals- nothing. No fluid leaks, no contamination, no metal-to metal-contact. Axleshaft play is equal on both sides. Rear fluid replaced at 30k with quality synthetic (Amsoil) with proper weight. Fluid is currently clean and at proper level- 80k on the odo.

Any ideas?

Jack up the vehicle and put the rear on jackstands; then listen to the noise while the vehicle is stationary. This will help narrow down the location a little more.

If you have the original U joints for the rear driveshaft... I would check them by twisting the driveshaft and testing for play. They can squeak when rusty.....

Charles

Charles thanks for the input...but I cannot duplicate the noise like this...it only happens when I'm turning right. It does not make any noises travelling straight ahead.
Is there any way to duplicate "differential" action with the rear tires in the air? Keep in mind I have the trac-lok rear...I can't physically make only one tire move by itself while on jackstands. Know any other tricks?

since it happens when turning right I would suspect the drivers side bearing. WHen turning right you'll be putting more weight on that tire, and the axle. If it was in the Diff I would imagine that it would do it while also turning left, and the noise would change when accelerating or decelerating, as that places different loads on the the ring and pinion.

8.25 Rr Axle Noise...the saga continues...

OK..after some lengthy "listening" and testing sessions, I've come up with some new info...and some theories.
I cannot duplicate the noise in any way in the driveway. No matter how I jack it up, move it, bounce it, shake it side to side, turn the rear wheels against one another (one on the ground-one off), pull, tug, etc, etc.
I noticed that the noise is considerably louder in the interior vs. from outside. It does make noise (albeit softer) turning left also- once again, louder from inside. But when completeing any turn, the noise immediatly stops.

Thinking this may be a suspension issue (kinda sounds like dry rubber-to-metal rubbing) I WD-40'd every bushing on the left rear- shocks too. Still makes noise.

Theory #1: Possible shock failure (interior guts). But if this were the case wouldn't it do it all the time as the suspension cycles up and down even travelling straight? Could the shock fail (and create noise) only from side-to side loads?
Theory #2: If it is the left outter axle bearing; A. Why am I hearing so much noise inside my jeep?
Theory #3: (this is one of those gonna-have-to-take-it-apart things) Rusty spring-eye-to-shackle bolt? Or rusty shackle-to-body bolt?

All guesses welcome!

I had the same problem with my 8.25. (only sounded when turning) I took it into six states distributors in orem ut. The main problem was the carrier would shift inside the diff causing the ring and pinion to be out of position. sooo long story short i needed new ring and pinion, and axle bearings. so while they were at it they went ahead and rebuilt the whole rear end. this probably doesnt help your feelings on the situation.

I'd tend to believe it's inside the rear end as well. When making a turn the carrier is subjected to force from the inside wheel turning faster than the outer. Going straight the guts don't experience this. Bad clutch pack in the carrier or bearing maybe. It doesn't sound to be a cheap problem though (sound of cash register). Sorry!!

Black97XJ said:
When making a turn the carrier is subjected to force from the inside wheel turning faster than the outer.

This doesn't change the meat of what you said, but the inside wheel spins slower than the outer wheel during a turn.

Thanks everybody for your insight. Unfortuneately, this is not what I wanted to hear! Now I gotta take it to the damn shop......again.....

...J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

Gee, just pop the axle out and replace the $5 bearing and $2 seal....2 beer job..if that does not work you can get into it more... actually I would probably do both sides just because you have it apart...

Back