• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Overdrive

springer1340

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All.

I have a 96XJ cherokee(Australian Model) and the past few months the auto has been holding in each gear longer than it use to, and when in overdrive it seems to shift out and in constantly. it does this more often when cold first thing in the morning but it also will do it when warm. Also when cruising in overdrive and I take my foot off the accelerator and then back on it jumps into 4th and then shifts into overdrive, I have had this XJ from new(apx 300000 km) and always had it serviced regularly can anyone advise on my problem.

Thanks All springer1340

4th is OD. You may be feeling the TQ converter unlocking and locking when you let off the gas and then back on it.

As for the rest...ya got me there.

There are 4 actual gears (1,2,3,D) then when your torque converter locks it feels like another small shift. The D is considered to be "overdrive" because you can drive all day in "3" if you want (pulling trailer, etc). It sounds to me like you are feeling the TC behaving badly. If you think it is hunting between 3/D you can put it in 3 to see what that does.

Back