• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting in new gears with old parts

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a mechanic friend that said it is no big deal to use old bearings and stuff. He said he always used the bearings and shims and stuff as long as the bearings were good. Is this acceptable? Why I'm asking is that I'm thinking of going 4.56 instead of the 4.10s I have. Down the road I will swap out the front and go 4.88s. Of course the costs keep escalating on my project. Would it be worth buying new 4.56s (not finding any used) and save the cost of 2 master instal kits since I'm going to be changing later? Should I just save my money and just stick with the 4.10s and 31s I have now? 33s and 4.56 look tempting. I have to install 4.10s up front so that is one end I'm already regearing. Any input? Thanks

If you infact know exactly how long those bearings were used, then i dont really see a problem with it....going off word of mouth or just by the way they look is a crap shoot IMO. If you only had say a couple hundred miles on a set that you personally or someone installed for you and wanted to change gears, i dont really see a problem with it as long as their in good shape and havent been abused.

Really though, install kits are fairly inexpensive and could save you costly repairs later down the road. I run 4.88s with 33s with the ambitions of running 35s later down the road....those 4.56s would put you roughly in the same gearing category as me if you ran 31's and would save you the trouble later on down the road when you wanted 33's. 31's with 4.56s isnt all that excessive IMO...

if I have to buy new gears, how would 4.88 with 33s' be? I would have to put 4.88 in my D30 up front, that is sort of common right? If I did this I would be done in the rear, and would have to sell the front when I put the D44 up front. I would be running a D30 trutrac up front and a D44 with a lock right in back with 33s for probably a couple of years before the 35s.

Like i said, i run 4.88's with 33's and its managable. It turns 3000 at 75 on the highway with the 5 speed so thats good enough for me....by my calculations, its getting 16 MPG since my last trip but that was with some snow bashing too so its probably more like 18-19....but thats a VAST improvement from the 13-14 i was getting with the 3.07's. 1st gear around town has become pretty much worthless and i start mostly in second in most cases.

Off-road, they are a godsend with the 33's though!!

Like said earlier, spend the extra money on bearings, for insurance, it you spend that much on gears why not make them last, the bearings can make or break the gears.. Ill be running 5.13 on 37s for a DD as soon as I install the axles this weekend

Jeffro600 said:
Really though, install kits are fairly inexpensive ...

I beg to differ

best price I found on a master install for a 44 was 80 bucs + shipping
and my gears cost me $109 + shipping

as far as the 4:56 the resale on em is pretty good ..Ive seen em go for 55-60 dollars and if ya invest in a master install kit when ya switch out youi only need a min istall kit way cheaper

VegasAnthony said:
I beg to differ

best price I found on a master install for a 44 was 80 bucs + shipping
and my gears cost me $109 + shipping

I dont consider 100 bucks for something thats going to make my gears run properly "expensive"....all things considered, they are inexpensive insurance.

Back