• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken swaybar bolt

ok so awhile back i was going to replace my swaybar bushings and when i was removing the first bolt it snaped off, now my question is is there just a nut welded in the frame behind the bumper or do i have to drill and tap the broken bolt out??

99xj sport 4x4

thanx mike

Last edited:
i think they are pressed in, it happ to me too, since i couldnt remove them i just took off the whole sway bar and called it a day...

:repair:

Greenlantern said:
i think they are pressed in, it happ to me too, since i couldnt remove them i just took off the whole sway bar and called it a day...

:repair:

ditto, and seems how i was in the mood, i trashed the other as well. ta-dah. shave some weight too.

As I recall, there is a nut-plate inside the frame with the nuts attached. The plate is part of the internal steering box "anti-squash" bracket that is spot welded to the frame. you can't get at it by removing the bumper--sets too far back. Only "correct" remedy is to drill out the old bolt and re-tap.

I broke a bolt off when doing maintenance also. I'd like to see a pic of a drop bracket so I can make one and then weld it to the unibody.

Back