• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB+ 31s good DD setup?

2000Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
first off i know this set up can be done.

Now would this be a good setup for a DD? i dont get to wheel to often anymore. so i am looking for a good steetable lift that will allow for 31s and not break the bank.

also what kind of BB would be the best a shackle in the rear or an Add-a-leaf?

at some point not sure when but i will be adding more lift.

I like my Daystar BB, with shackles and spacers, for $100 off ebay (cseoffroad, had 3 perfect transactions with them). Its a great DD set-up, but I did notice a drop in gas mileage. Thats my 2 cents

I agree, I have a Daystar BB (spacers and greasable shackles) and Iam running 31x10.5's on my 99.
Works great on the street but rubs lower c-arms lightly at full turn ... DONT expect to get much stuffage, it aint gonna happen unless you trim.
When I know its gonna get wheeled I swap tires & wheels with the 91, Its got 30's on it.
Here is the 99 with the 31's on it, complete with saggy springs...........
100_2000.jpg

Heres a pic of it with the 30,s ......
Picturea64.jpg

Last edited:
I considered this but decided that for not much more money and the same amount of labor I could install 3” springs up front and an AAL in the rear on my DD. You have to pull the front springs out to install the spacer, so why not just replace them?

Personally I thought the stock front springs were a little too soft to start with, and adding spacers would make it worse by increasing the leverage on them by moving the weight of the body higher without increasing the spring rate. Maybe I’m not thinking about it right since I never tried a BB lift, but I didn’t really like how it nose dived when I was on the brakes hard with the stock suspension.

As for your shackle/AAL question, there are advantages to either. The AAL will not really change the pinion angle much but will make the rear end stiffer, while the shackle will retain the stock spring rate but move the pinion angle up some. You might be able to combine the shackle with a small TC drop for nearly stock angles. You are likely to need a longer brake line in the rear with either, get one for a YJ for about $12 from any Autozone type place.

if its a daily driver, i wouldnt mess with lifting it. 2" of lift with 30's isnt going to get you anywhere it wont go bone stock. for a daily driver that sees weekend trails, id go 3" lift, 32's, minor trimming, and a rear locker. otherwise youre wasting your time/money. my .02

olivedrabcj7 said:
if its a daily driver, i wouldnt mess with lifting it. 2" of lift with 30's isnt going to get you anywhere it wont go bone stock. for a daily driver that sees weekend trails, id go 3" lift, 32's, minor trimming, and a rear locker. otherwise youre wasting your time/money. my .02
Thats HIGHLY debatable. I went out this weekend and kept up with a Wrangler on 35's and a Bronco on 32's. And I can say with 100% confidance a stock XJ wouldn't have made it. And every time I go out with my friends with stock XJ's they get stuck where I dont.

So yes, it is worth it to go 2" and 31's. And the Daystar kit I have is reusable if you buy a bigger kit. You can always reuse the spacers and shackles.

olivedrabcj7 said:
if its a daily driver, i wouldnt mess with lifting it. 2" of lift with 30's isnt going to get you anywhere it wont go bone stock.
Thats HIGHLY debatable. I went out this weekend and kept up with a Wrangler on 35's and a Bronco on 32's. And I can say with 100% confidance a stock XJ wouldn't have made it. And every time I go out with my friends with stock XJ's they get stuck where I dont.

So yes, it is worth it to go 2" and 31's. And the Daystar kit I have is reusable if you buy a bigger kit. You can always reuse the spacers and shackles.

The only mod my 92 XJ has is a selectable locker in the rear. It has 235/75R-15 BFG MTs on it, and I follow my buds with the 32s and 33s just about everywhere. I am careful about my line, but I go where they go. The XJ is one of our DDs, and also must fit inside a parking garage at work. This precludes any serious lift. So, I went with skids, better tires, and a locker. So far, so good. I'm planning on pretty much the same treatment with my 98 ZJ (am I allowed to say "ZJ" on this site?).

I did a 2" BB with 30's on my g/f's. We did it b/c:

1. It needed new tires very bad.
2. I, personally, thought it would look better afterwards. It does. I still need to get some pics of it. I opted for the shackles only b/c it kept the ride a bit more supple than what the AAL would have done. Installation was ridiculously easy.

I'm assuming your rig is a 2000 from your username.

I'm guessing going to 3" will necessitate a SYE.

yeah probably thats why i want to try and stay under 3" because i dont dont really have funds right now for the sye.. but by next fall i will and i am going to step up my lift height

For what it's worth, on my '99, I did the RE full length AAL and a 1 3/4" spacer up front. It drives nice, especially since I removed the rear sway bar, and I have a 70 mile commute to work. (I'm on 235's tho, not 31's)

I had to shim and do a t-case drop to eliminate vibes, and they seem all the way gone now up to 75 MPH (as fast as I ever go).

The RE full length AAL moved me from 16 3/4" to 19 1/2", measured from hub to stock flair. As always, your results may vary.

You might already know about this, but this site will give you an idea of how much your speedo will be off with the 31's

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm#chart

Back