• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metric Lugs?

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
I thought XJ's were made in the USA? Then why the hell does my '90 pioneer 4wd have 14mm metric lugs? Did dana skimp on this?

It doesn't, unless someone changed them. All XJs right up to 2001 have 1/2" x 20 lugs.

Stock lug NUTS (not "lugs" -- technically, lugs were bolts with tapered seats that screwed into the hubs to hold the wheels on. That's the way it was done up until the mid- to late 50s but most of you grasshoppers probably never saw a car with genuine "lugs") take a 3/4" socket. Most after-market lug nuts in 1/2 x 20 use a 13/16 socket.

The stock lug nuts, as Mike alluded to, have a very thin stainless steel cap crimped on over an open core. If the cap has fallen off, a 19mm socket is just a teensie bit smaller and may work if the 3/4" doesn't.

Hey Eagle,I'm not too old to remember that the old VW's used lug bolts instead of lug nuts :laugh: They were that way up until the demise of the American version of the original Beetle. I guess the Germans didn't like letting go of some ways of doing things,eh? :D

Georgia Mike said:
Hey Eagle,I'm not too old to remember that the old VW's used lug bolts instead of lug nuts :laugh: They were that way up until the demise of the American version of the original Beetle. I guess the Germans didn't like letting go of some ways of doing things,eh? :D

VW still does it this way -- my 02 Jetta has lugs, as did my dad's long-passed 84 rabbit.

As far as metric goes, I know what you mean - I picked up a small set of metric combo wrenches over the weekend - had to change the battery out in the XJ, and discovered that while the terminal calmps were 1/2", I needed what appeared to be a 13mm for the battery hold-down bar. I borrowed a 14 from my father, and it worked (though being a touch large). Won't get caught unprepared again (until the next time :D ).

Just
Empty
Every
Parts Bin

Rob

all of my tin covers are gone, got sick of them sticking in the socket. 18mm works perfect on mine that way.

Back