• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lousy defroster

bdtsr

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'd like to know if anyone has come up with a way to keep the edges of their XJ windshield clear of ice. Coming home from the movies this evening it was snowing and I remembered that I wanted to post this awhile ago. Driving like this is a real pain! With the defroster and temp on high, it just won't keep the edges clear (about 3" all the way around). Anyone have any solutions?

Are you getting a good volume of air coming out of the defroster vent? If not, you may have a problem with your mixture plate (don't know the real word for it).

bdtsr said:
I know the A/C needs to work to clear the fog. I am wondering about ice as I had asked. The windshield ices up around the edges to about 3" in.
Mine melts everything great down to 0 even the side windows.
It's a 87.

what year is the problem jeep? If it's a 97-01 then it's bad news. prob the mixer plate, or something to that effect. Spendy. dealer only. pita. gotta pull the whole dash apart. call the dealer and ask, they'll recognize it right away. can't post FSMs here anymore, or I'm sure soemone has the "magic formula" to do it yer self. If it's a pre-97, it's prob less of a pita. try going back and forth with the def/floor and the def. might here the flapper kinda get stuck or change. all the 97=01s will eventually have the same prob. good luck.

It's a 1998 Sport. It will melt the ice fine at slower speeds, but above 35 or so it will ice up around the edges of the windshield. It has always been this way. There is plenty of air coming from the defroster ducts, just doesn't seem that the ducts are long enough to reach the edges.

I also have a '98 Sport, but I don't have that problem nor have I had any customers complaining about it. Put it on defrost and feel around the other ducts to see if there's any significant air flow out of them. You might have a "Mode Door" that's stuck, or maybe a restriction on the evaporator or heater core (i.e. mold, dirt, pet hair, rodent that wanted to keep warm but is now dead). I've seen a lot of splattered mice inside HVAC systems.

Back