• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok To Drive??

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
Did the cluster swap, guys at autoparts store gave me the wrong temp sensor, i broke the top of the old one off so can't plug it back in, nut is just sitting in the hole till I get new one, its the sensor in the back, will it overheat or anything when driven sinces its no longer plugged in

Thanks in advance

It should not. That sensor, as I recall, doesn't ever have anything to do with the cooling fan (on RENIX it doesn't, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't on OBD models. It would help if we knew the year - always a good idea to include that in your posts.)

If you have the RENIX XJ (1987-1990,) then the cooling fan is engaged by the sensor in the driver's side radiator tank. Later models have the fan actuated by the PCM, via the temperature sensor that reports to it. The one in the head was just for the gage/indicator in the dashboard.

However, you won't know if you're overheating, if you do - so try not to let it go too long...

5-90

Sorry about that, its a 96, I always forget because on my local club forum my sig. at the bottom of my posts tells all, I'm getting the new part tomorow, thanks a lot

The sensor on the back of the head is for the gauge and/or idiot light only. It will have no input for motor operation. The temp sender on the front of the motor is what feeds info to the computer.

It will stay in cold loop, the front sensor is where the ecu gets it's information from as well as the gauge so your milage will suck till you fix it. AA is open for another 5 hours isn't it...

RichP said:
It will stay in cold loop, the front sensor is where the ecu gets it's information from as well as the gauge

He said it's the sensor in the back ... that should be the one for the gauge on the '96, right? I thought it was like that on all models.

In 1996, the only change was that the rear sensor was able to feed a gauge or an idiot light ... one sensor for both options.

montanaman said:
He said it's the sensor in the back ... that should be the one for the gauge on the '96, right? I thought it was like that on all models.

In 1996, the only change was that the rear sensor was able to feed a gauge or an idiot light ... one sensor for both options.

I did'nt see back sensor in his posting...

Back