• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Color Match Paint

PDeeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, and found alot of really good, useful information, but what I haven't been able to find is a suggested brand of spray paint which color matches the XJ's Factory white.

I painted a set of lebaron hood vents with some generic spray paint called American Tradition "Ultra Enamel". I found this at Lowes, because they didn't carry Dupli-color or Krylon. The did have Rustoleum, but I heard mixed reviews about them. Anyways, I painted them glossy white, and sure enough that they are.
vents2.jpg

See how they stand out even more-so than the XJ factory color, regardless it's a bit dirty. I read originally that someone painted theirs semi-flat, but I haven't been able to find that yet, so went with the glossy. I was talking to a friend and he said that when I find the right color I should paint the bumper and grille white as well.

CLFFS: I've read alot of great information on prepping and painting, but spicifically need to know the stray paint brand that most closely matches the XJ factory white (for use on metal, plastic, and fiberglass).

Thanks!

If you go to a professional car paint supplier they can color match the paint for you and charge a spray can full of it. You did not specify a price and although this is at the high end it will probably look the best. A warning also some professional paints do not stick to rustoleum.

K

Oh, well I'm a college student, so I was planning on hopefully buying a few spray cans of whatever most closely matches.

Any dealer should be able to order some spray touch up for you. Give them the vin,and they can look up your paint code. They retail for around $8.

Try duplicolor. I bought some at kmart of all places. It matched pretty well and it is ok for smaller pieces like your vents.

Cool website. So I entered in all the info, and it says the color is called Stone White.

But what do I do now? I honestly don't know.

I got paint at Wally World, think it was Krylon automotive, had a wide spray nozzle and the color(white) was almost the same a my XJ, was great paint to work with, well at least for a spray can.
Theres a guy around here with a white XJ,like mine ..and yours , he painted the bumpers and trim white like the body, boy IMHO, it looks like $hit.
Have you thought of painting the vents with something like "trim black" ?

yeah, but i think black vents would look hoaky on a white hood. i could always paint em black after installing them, just to see if it looks better.

dizzymac said:
boy IMHO, it looks like $hit.
I think it looks like sh!t too. :D

pdxxjnoob said:
yeah, but i think black vents would look hoaky on a white hood.
The white hood vents are definitely a smooth blend but they tend to get lost on the white hood. Tough to spot mine.
I've painted the trim on my 97 Sport factory matching Stone White. The custom mixed rattle cans cost me $12 a piece. I had plasticizers included in the rattle can mix so the paint would be very flexible on the plastic trim and flares.

dsc02792s.jpg

JEEPZZ, where did you get the paint? JIM.

Local auto body supply shop. I told them what I wanted and that it had to be flexible, they went out to my Jeep and grabbed the paint code and 15 minutes laters I had 4 rattle cans of factory matching Stone White. :)

JEEPZZ said:
Local auto body supply shop. I told them what I wanted and that it had to be flexible, they went out to my Jeep and grabbed the paint code and 15 minutes laters I had 4 rattle cans of factory matching Stone White. :)
Thanks for the info. JIM.

Yeah, thanks for the info.

Wow, that's really white. The more I thought about it, and the more feedback I got, I may leave the bumper black and paint the vents black. I like the flares white though... looks good.

JEEPZZ said:
I think it looks like sh!t too. :D

The white hood vents are definitely a smooth blend but they tend to get lost on the white hood. Tough to spot mine.
I've painted the trim on my 97 Sport factory matching Stone White. The custom mixed rattle cans cost me $12 a piece. I had plasticizers included in the rattle can mix so the paint would be very flexible on the plastic trim and flares.

dsc02792s.jpg

thats real nice lookin, it almost looks like there is a spoiler on it? maybe im crazy, but if it is a spoiler i want one

JEEPZZ said:

I found the only automotive [paint] shop here in Portland that will make me rattle cans says a minimum of 7 rattle cans at 17 dollars a piece is the only way they will do business. They kinda own the market in this town, so I guess they can charge whatever they'd like.

Anyone know of an online shop that I can order maybe 1 or 2 cans from at about 15 a can +/- shipping. Or I guess my alternative is to call other towns.

You can also get the paint from a local Jeep dealership or order it from one. Some of the larger dealers have the rattle cans in stock or have the ability to put the factory matching paint into a rattle can for you.

Back