• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Front Axle Oil Seal Replacement

mscotese

NAXJA Forum User
HELP! My 87 Cherokee was leaking gear lube from the drivers side front axle by the steer knuckle. I went in from the steer knuckle side and removed the old seal. Now it looks like the new seal must be installed from the inside of the differential becuase the oil seal OD is too big to slide through the axle tube ID from the outside. Is this true???? Any short cuts? HELP, HELP, HELP

Many thanks for the info. I notice the instructions do not mention anything about using a spreader to spread the diff case when removing the carrier. Can I get away without this? Thanks Mike

took me a while to do it on my carport.

i took it all apart and used a piece of pipe to smack the old seals out and i very easily used a small hammer and a big socket to tap the new seals in. you gotta be mega careful and make sure not to knick anything in the case.

Back