• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft tool?

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
The DS Ujoint is held by two clamps and 4 bolts with 5/16 or 8mm heads.
I wonder if anybody has come along a tool that works well there.
I ruined a couple of 1/4" drive sockets trying to loosen ot tighten those bolts.
Another time I used a long 12 point wrench that stripped the heads.
I get the job done but I am not happy the way I do it.
What is your favorite tool?

6 point comb wrench Snap-on ,avaitaion wrench,Not mine but a mech friend.He guards it with his life when I,m around.
Wayne

Mixed results - either a small box-end wrench, or a deep 1/4" drive socket.

I usually replace them with socket head capscrews, so I can use a hex key next time. I get them cheap enough that I can replace the screws every time I take them apart (good idea, that,) and I keep a box of them in the toolbox.

Check, but I think you'll find they're 1/4"-28. Mine are.

5-90

Wayne Sihler said:
6 point comb wrench Snap-on ,avaitaion wrench,Not mine but a mech friend.He guards it with his life when I,m around.
Wayne

You got me on this one, aviation tools are usually 12 point because there are quite a few 12 point bolts in aviation, especially jet engines.
I'll check the snap on catalog.
Thanks.

5-90 said:
Mixed results - either a small box-end wrench, or a deep 1/4" drive socket.

I usually replace them with socket head capscrews, so I can use a hex key next time. I get them cheap enough that I can replace the screws every time I take them apart (good idea, that,) and I keep a box of them in the toolbox.

Check, but I think you'll find they're 1/4"-28. Mine are.

5-90
I normally try to stay away from allen screws, 1/4" drive sockets work but not for very long.
Thanks.

falcon556 said:
You got me on this one, aviation tools are usually 12 point because there are quite a few 12 point bolts in aviation, especially jet engines.
I'll check the snap on catalog.
Thanks.
I agree,but thats what he said,he uses it a lot in his job because of the length and the thin head.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
I agree,but thats what he said,he uses it a lot in his job because of the length and the thin head.
Wayne
Sounds good, I was looking in the snap on catalog, I think I need to meet the dealer and look and feel his wrenches.

falcon556 said:
I normally try to stay away from allen screws, 1/4" drive sockets work but not for very long.
Thanks.

Why? Quality socket heads are actually a little bit better than hex heads, and they can be MUCH easier to deal with! I've got the "L" keys, and 1/4" and 3/8" drive hex keys, so that's no trouble. Hell, I'd go with Torx if I could find them cheap enough - the Torx head is even more reliable.

Now, I'm not talking about the "E-Torx" head that we all swear at - but the one with the socket head recess instead. E-Torx bolts I'll usually replace out of hand - whether I use a stud, socket head capscrew, or hex head capscrew depends upon the application.

5-90

Try a brake bleeder wrench in the correct size you need. They are usually 6-point, have nice offset and are long to boot.

5-90 said:
Why? Quality socket heads are actually a little bit better than hex heads, and they can be MUCH easier to deal with! I've got the "L" keys, and 1/4" and 3/8" drive hex keys, so that's no trouble. Hell, I'd go with Torx if I could find them cheap enough - the Torx head is even more reliable.

Now, I'm not talking about the "E-Torx" head that we all swear at - but the one with the socket head recess instead. E-Torx bolts I'll usually replace out of hand - whether I use a stud, socket head capscrew, or hex head capscrew depends upon the application.

5-90

I use them if I have to, I have a negative opinion about them. I don't trust them.
Possibly because I never had a high quality wrench set that I can trust not to twist like a pretzel and loose the corners and mess up the head of the screw.
I feel more comfortable dealing with hex.

BillyBob said:
Try a brake bleeder wrench in the correct size you need. They are usually 6-point, have nice offset and are long to boot.

I thought they are too thick to fit. I'll check it next time.

OK here are the # off the tools .There are 2 wrenches 1 is correct,he is not sure which is the best.
Snap-on # XDH810A 1/4x5/16 12 pt box end
Snap-on #XLE1012 E10 x E 12 box end spline ?
Wayne

falcon556 said:
I use them if I have to, I have a negative opinion about them. I don't trust them.
Possibly because I never had a high quality wrench set that I can trust not to twist like a pretzel and loose the corners and mess up the head of the screw.
I feel more comfortable dealing with hex.

Ah. Try "Unbrako" keys if you can find them (check MRO supply houses, like MSC Direct & McMaster-Carr) - I've found them to be about the best. Even if you do break one (it's rare - I think I've broken ONE Unbrako in the last 25 years!) you can just take a magnet and pull the broken stub out of the screw. Nice.

Bondhus isn't too bad - I'd give them about a third, after Unbrako and the specialy tool outifits. I'll still buy Unbrako when I can find it, tho. Their Torx keys are similar.

5-90

This is what I use. 6pt., closed ended, 5/16 + 3/8 combo wrench. Forgot how much, but it was cheap for Snap-On.

100_0761.jpg

Part Number is XS1012SA

100_0762.jpg

Its only 4 3/4 inches long, but nothing a BFH at the other end can't take care of to loosen up those tight bolts.

i usually strip them with a socket, and then file two sides until an open end wrench finishes 'em off. cheers

Wayne Sihler said:
OK here are the # off the tools .There are 2 wrenches 1 is correct,he is not sure which is the best.
Snap-on # XDH810A 1/4x5/16 12 pt box end
Snap-on #XLE1012 E10 x E 12 box end spline ?
Wayne

I have a 12 point spline box end and 12 point box end.
Both wrenches can mess up a bolt, the spline simply cut the corners off.
The steel used on those bolts is not hard enough for a 12 point box end.
I think a 6 point thin good quality wrench is what I need.

XJjeepLess said:
This is what I use. 6pt., closed ended, 5/16 + 3/8 combo wrench. Forgot how much, but it was cheap for Snap-On.

Part Number is XS1012SA

Its only 4 3/4 inches long, but nothing a BFH at the other end can't take care of to loosen up those tight bolts.

Strange their catalog calls it a 12 point wrench.

Back