• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Distributor Upgrade

Motornoggin

NAXJA Forum User
The distributor in my 89 4.0 is making some noise. It sounds like a bearing going bad. I have been looking for possible upgrades (MSD, Mallory etc.) and I can't find anything. Are there any upgrades out there?

I know of NO up grade of the distributor itself.Basicly all it does is distribute the spark,there is no timing advance or anything related in the dist, it,s all done in the computor.
you can up-grade cap,wires etc. and the coil for hotter spark.
Wayne

Motornoggin said:
The distributor in my 89 4.0 is making some noise. It sounds like a bearing going bad. I have been looking for possible upgrades (MSD, Mallory etc.) and I can't find anything. Are there any upgrades out there?

Your distributor driveshaft has probably worn and has started to wobble slightly. You can confirm that by taking off the cap and having a look. You'll see deeper grooves in the terminals of the cap than there should be, and the shaft will have some play when you grab it by the rotor and move it from side to side.
There aren't any upgrades for the distributor so just buy a new stock unit. Even the Firepower dizzy can't really be considered an upgrade.

Back