• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Conditioner System Upgrades?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.0 '96 XJ with of course air conditioning. Lately the bearings in the compressor have started to make some noise at start up. I've never really been impressed with the AC performance in Cherokees, so I was thinking I could find a way to upgrade my AC system.

I basically want more air, quicker, and colder. Where should I start? The Toyota Prius has an all electric driven AC system. Would it be possible to rig something like that up, and piggy back it to my current system?

Don't give up on your A/C just yet. When my compressor started squealing I pulled the clutch and used a syringe to inject grease through the race cover and it's worked great ever since. My neighbors 96 started doing the same thing so I took his clutch off and was able to gently pry the seal of the bearing and repack it with grease. That was alot easier in the long run than using the syringe.

Fix the bearing and then have the refrigerant charge checked. You might end up saving quite a fee $$$.

uvaldetxj said:
Try this out....

I haven't done it personally, but I am going to when I fix the AC on my other XJ.

http://arizonaxj.com/tech/ACCooldown.html

http://arizonaxj.com

Do you know how the compressor and AC system holds up to these changes over time?

Also my jeep is a '96 with R134a. Would I need to drain that and go to R12? I know R12 cools better than R134 so perhaps it would be a wise move?

Would it be OK to run R12 on my '96's compressor?

Also the mod above only makes the air colder, but doesn't seem to do anything to increase the actual output of air. Any ideas here?

90Pioneer said:
Would it be OK to run R12 on my '96's compressor?

Also the mod above only makes the air colder, but doesn't seem to do anything to increase the actual output of air. Any ideas here?
No you can't change to R12 without replacing the oil in the system.

The airflow has nothing to do with the compressor, it is a function of the blower and the ducts.

Back