• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rad question

dizank

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep is an 88 cherokee auto 4.0 l im switching my rad to a 91 and getting rid of my closed system does any one know if i need to extend my hoses thanks

Why bother, there is nothing wrong with the closed system, it's only weakness is the plastic turtle on the firewall and it's cap. Several companies make steel and other metal surge tanks that use normal pressure caps in the $50-100 range, just do a yahoo search on surge tanks. Eagle here did his with a tank from summit racing, have not seen it but the pics of the tank are about the size of a thermos bottle. When you convert to the open system you also have to deal with the temp sensor, open rads don't have the bung for it to mount.
Alot of the new cars have gone back to closed systems too. Personally I would just do the rad, mixing valve and pressure tank as well as the hoses, clamps and tstat.

dizank said:
my jeep is an 88 cherokee auto 4.0 l im switching my rad to a 91 and getting rid of my closed system does any one know if i need to extend my hoses thanks
You will need a heater mixing valve,the hoses from it to the heater core,a theromastat housing from a 91 later and a temp switch to turn on the aux fan plus a overflow tank,rad and cap.New heater hoses if the ones you have are old.
I used a temp switch from a GM car #3040674 cross ref to a NAPA # that I don,t have handy.
Do a search and look for one by Bryan C.
Wayne

weird a buddy has this in his 88 and he just told me i needed longer heater hoses the 91 rad is literly the same profile but any ways they broke the spout off during shipping well ill just half to wait till tuesday and ill let all you guys that care know what happens

I must agree with RichP the closed system is really a superior system to the Open style.
Once a closed system is filled it’s sealed from outside contamination.
There is no difference between cooling and the closed system actually requires less maintenance.
Open systems loose some water from evaporation and so need to be topped off from time to time; also outside air is drawn in and out of the overflow on every heating cooling cycle.
None of that happens with a closed system.

Back