• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep stuttering or dying after coasting to stop and starting again

pauldo39

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched around this forum for answers, but I haven't found a case quite like this. I have a 4.0 94XJ with 118K and I believe I have a transmission problem. Besides the infamous cooling problem, the engine hasn't had a single problem whatsoever. I've noticed that after a lot of highway driving, slowing down either to turn or to stop at a light, stop sign, etc, the jeep really stutters sometimes and killed once when I stepped on the gas after coming to or almost coming to a stop, but if it doesn't kill it acts normal. I also noticed that before this happens and I'm coasting to a stop, I can really feel the transmission downshift as I'm coming to a stop, when I used to never notice the shift. While the transmission isn't quite as smooth as when it was new when shifting, it isn't jerky and doesn't slip. The transmission is the aw4. The fluid is less than a year old and the problem just happened suddenly, leading me to believe it may be an electrical issue? Any help would be much appreciated. I'm worried because mechanical transmission problems=$$$$!

I suspect your problem might be the fuel pump rather than the tranny. If you can catch it when the problem occurs, check the fuel pressure at the injector rail. It should be a steady 30-32psi with the vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator attached.

Back