• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camber issue

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, on my 87 XJ I have negative camber on both wheels. Measured at a -1.5

Now my question is this, Why?

A guy told me the housing may be sagging, which could possibly be. I doubt it though.

I'm thinkin something may be bent like the upper ball joint area.

Anyone know how to check for what is causing this?

Passenger side wheel bearing is brand new by the way.

Support the diff at the outer part of the axle tube and rock the wheel in a vertical manner. There should be little or no play. If there is, you have bad ball joints.

My opinion is that the production tolerances left a bit to be desired. It was probably manufactured the way it is. Two of my XJs were pretty much this way but not as equal on both side as yours appears to be.

well, the passenger side is very slightly less of a negative camber.

Too bad they didn't work a way in to correct the camber, cause it can't be good on tires. That and the look of the tires bowing in at the top bothers me.

SPC used to make eccentric bushings for the lower ball joints that you could use to correct caster or camber; however, they have discontinued them. I was still able to find them last year. I don't think they worked on anything newer than about '89. The other solution is to install offset upper ball joints that you can buy from NAPA and other places.

You can't always tell bad balll joints by pulling on the wheels, because they can be pretty stiff. Try jacking up one side enough to put a good big lever under the tire. Now use the lever to lift up on the tire, and observe the ball joints. Look especially at the grease seal on the upper joint. No movement is acceptable.

Back