• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RTV or gasket

9T3XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just regeared my axles and it's time to change the oil in the diffs. Should I use the gaskets that came with the install kits, or just use RTV. Is one favored over the other?

I use the gaskets, dry, because they're easier to clean up in a year. RTV will work - but it's fiddly to clean up and you've got to put more effort into it.

Until I can come up with a way to do a drain plug in my axles, I'm going to continue using dry gaskets to save myself the work.

5-90

I like to clean up the housing and the cover with brake parts cleaner. Spray 3M 77 adhesive on both sides of the gasket, stick it on the cover and bolt it on. The 77 releases pretty easy and I can usually reuse the gasket if I'm careful with it. I stole that idea from Ed and Joe, the car guys that used to be on TNN Saturdays, Shadetree Mechanic.

Tom in KY, sticky is better.

If youve got the gaskets already, use em....but if not, dont even bother with them as RTV does just as good of a job, is cheaper and can be used for other things.

5-90 said:
I use the gaskets, dry, because they're easier to clean up in a year. RTV will work - but it's fiddly to clean up and you've got to put more effort into it.

Until I can come up with a way to do a drain plug in my axles, I'm going to continue using dry gaskets to save myself the work.

5-90
rtv is better for the trail as it will not start to leak as fast as the gaskets will should the dif cover get a bit deformed

5-90 said:

5-90

What "work"?

I dont see the big deal that everyone makes out of changing diff fluids....it takes MAYBE a whole 10 mins and is easier than changing your regular oil. :dunno:

Kejtar said:
If RTV is left for too long (as in the diff is neglected) it becomes a PITA to remove ;)

Nothin a simple smack with a rubber mallet doesnt fix! But that might at a few seconds to my estimate of 10 mins! :laugh3:

And that spray on gasket remover stuff works EXCELLENT to get the RTV off....spray it on, watch it melt away....litterally!

Jeffro600 said:
Nothin a simple smack with a rubber mallet doesnt fix! But that might at a few seconds to my estimate of 10 mins! :laugh3:

And that spray on gasket remover stuff works EXCELLENT to get the RTV off....spray it on, watch it melt away....litterally!

yea but why bother?

Im with kejtar. Gaskets are totally the way to go. x10.

Jeffro600 said:
What "work"?

I dont see the big deal that everyone makes out of changing diff fluids....it takes MAYBE a whole 10 mins and is easier than changing your regular oil. :dunno:

Not if you have a 9"...im about to go do an oil change right now as a matter of fact...im using Ultra Black.

helix said:
yea but why bother?

Im with kejtar. Gaskets are totally the way to go. x10.

ummm you didnt read very good. He recommended rtv, holds up better on the trail.

just did my first mandatory change today, 200 miles post-gearing. SO much junk in there. i used hi-temp grey rtv to seal it back up, and i've let it set up for an hour or so. time to go drive it around a bit.

Thanks guys, i'm just going to use the gaskets since i already have them and it doesn't sound like there are any major disadvantages to using them.

I don't like using RTV, but think about what diff. gaskets (Lube Locker aside) are made of--paper. They act like wicks over time and though the effect is minimal, I use RTV because I don't like the notion that my gaskets are essentially promoting "leaks."

Back