• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New engine cost?

matthew

NAXJA Forum User
How much does a new 4.0L typically cost? I am contiplating replacing my engine on my '90. Also,can I install a HO 4.0L in a '90 XJ?

Junkyard engines have their advantages....

If you can find an assured low mileage and unabused engine that will work, i have found they can be the best overall. Attempt to locate the lowest mileage unit possible, even if would require swapping many things. As an example, three months ago i had an engine transplant/rebuild in a '96 Astrovan AWD. That is a nightmare job to be sure. Because the complexity of the job it was decided to choose a very safe choice. Dealership wanted a good bit for new, i do not rem how much now, but we found an engine, three years newer and with only 21k miles- for all real purposes still new, and thousands cheaper. This engine had the 'new' fuel injection system, egr system, sensors, etc., that would not have been new using a rebuilt engine- that is a big deal. In addition the cam and roller lifters were also 'new', very expensive to replace. It turned out to have worked better than the older one ever did. He said had more power. I did some research and the cam in that engine had increased camlift, both intake and exhaust from the factory!! Needless to say, a very happy customer!!

Back