• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow plate on stock bumper?

tcfXJwfo

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a simple temporary recovery point before my front bumper comes in. My idea is to sandwich the factory bumper with 1/4" plate and weld a 3/4" by 3" long piece with a hole in it for a d-ring shackle. Probably use 4 to 6 bolts to hold it together. Will this work? Thanks

tcfXJwfo said:
I am looking for a simple temporary recovery point before my front bumper comes in. My idea is to sandwich the factory bumper with 1/4" plate and weld a 3/4" by 3" long piece with a hole in it for a d-ring shackle. Probably use 4 to 6 bolts to hold it together. Will this work? Thanks

NO..... The stock bumper is a thin weak piece of steel.Move your plates and reinforcements to the frame rail and body or just get the factory or aftermarket tow hook brackets.The stock bumper is a weak POS to attach anything to.
Wayne

even if you beefed up the bumper to take the load you'll just end up ripping it off the body. You need brackets that go farther down the frame to distribute the load. Best bet is some junkyarded OEM tow hooks. That's what I got on my MJ.

Wayne Sihler said:
NO..... The stock bumper is a thin weak piece of steel.Move your plates and reinforcements to the frame rail and body or just get the factory or aftermarket tow hook brackets.The stock bumper is a weak POS to attach anything to.
Wayne

87manche said:
even if you beefed up the bumper to take the load you'll just end up ripping it off the body. You need brackets that go farther down the frame to distribute the load. Best bet is some junkyarded OEM tow hooks. That's what I got on my MJ.

what they said.... X eleventy billion

Back