• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours USA BackBone system?

Osprey413

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if anyone(obviously other than Detour) has any experience with the Detours USA BackBone system. As some of you may have read I am building a Search and Rescue Cherokee. This looks like a fairly sturdy system (lots of tie ins with the frame and nice beefy metal) and it keeps the stock bumper looking like it should so it looks like a "from factory" winch and d-ring mount. And for the price it's hard to beat.

I have heard nothing but good things about Detours USA and their products (except for their shipping. Detour, if you are reading this DHL bought out Airborn Express when they came to the USA. Airborn Express's tracking system was bad enough, but DHL has completely F'ed up the whole thing. You might want to look into FedEx or UPS if you want more reliable shipping. I work for a shipping company, I know this from experience.).

I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with the BackBone system itself.

I really like it, looks good an beefy. Actually, I was going to fab something similiar to it. Now, I'm back in the undecided catagory. I think I'd like to have a stouter than stock bumper, just incase I happen to have an intimate moment with a tree on a downhill for instance. As far as the way the mounts, looks good to me. I'd like to hear some real-world reviews of it too.

ive had to carry the damn thing for a fellow NAXJA member, and all i can say is its simply BADASS! Once i get my lift done im gettin the backbone.

Were you carrying it for install, or were you carrying it because it broke off. Please clarify the situation in which you were carrying said BackBone.

Osprey413 said:
Were you carrying it for install, or were you carrying it because it broke off. Please clarify the situation in which you were carrying said BackBone.

I'd have to guess that he wouldn't be so enthusiastic about getting one for himself if the damn thing had BROKEN OFF!

But that's just a guess...

Robert

Osprey413 said:
he picked it up from detour when we were at a Jeep show,so we had to carry them from detours jeep to his jeep, he also got a set of rockrails, so each person had to carry somthin.

robz95xj said:
he picked it up from detour when we were at a Jeep show,so we had to carry them from detours jeep to his jeep, he also got a set of rockrails, so each person had to carry somthin.

Toldja so.

shoot a pm to tetsulo, he's the one that has it

Yea, so you were right. Want a cookie or something. Anyway, regardless I'm pretty much sold on the BackBone system. It's beefy enough to withstand pulls, yet sleek and sexy enough to look like it came from the factory that way. And the price... whoa, I never thought I would find a good addition to my jeep again for less than $400.

Okay I'm going to add in my little Detours promotion. I have seen Detours backbone installed on his own XJ and was with Rob and Matt when we picked it up at the Jeep show. I also have Detours rear bumper and tire carrier on my XJ.

Mark (Detours) does some great work and I can't say enough good things about him and the work he does. and no Rob I am not just trying to get free welding classes from him just want to give credit where credit is deserved. I really like his backbone system and wouldn't mind one hanging off the front of my XJ. I haven't heard anything negative about his shipping and didn't have a problem when mine was shipped to me. Marks a great guy to do business with and although it doesn't apply to you guys that live elsewhere, there is something to running into the guy that built your bumper on the trails, the Jeep show or even the Big Y parking lot and actaully having him taking the time to talk to you and make sure you are happy.

I bought and installed a Detours Backbone system, and have winched off it several times now.

It is solid, easy to install, Mark is a great guy to deal with. He sorted out my questions and shipped it to me in England no problems.

I have used it with a Superwinch EP9.0 with plasma rope under some heavy loads and there were no creaks, movement or issues at all. After the first pull I just got on with it - I have great confidence in it.

I'll happily answer any questions from my experiences with it so far.

Since the county/state/city put you in charge of their search and rescue vehicle buildup, aren't they funding and approving what is done to the vehicle? I wouldn't think that cost would be such a concern if they are endorsing the project. What is the budget that they've given you to do this?

Capt. Nemo said:
Since the county/state/city put you in charge of their search and rescue vehicle buildup, aren't they funding and approving what is done to the vehicle? I wouldn't think that cost would be such a concern if they are endorsing the project. What is the budget that they've given you to do this?
i think he's doing this on his own...kinda like a volunteer...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75872

I have one, but haven't installed it yet. It is very beefy and I'm sure it will perform well. I'd like to add that his customer service is excellent. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

It looks like a pretty nice system, but you're still stuck with the stock bumper just with a stronger mounting. And for $265? :eek:

Look here and see that you can have a nice, complete bumper system for less money than just the backbone. Make additions as you like for a little extra money.

Seems silly to me to pay $265 for something when you get so much more, of the same quality, for less.

JMO.

$265 is alot to pay but I, for one, like the looks of the stock front end and I havent seen a winch bumper with proper tie ins anyplace for less than $400, including the JCR link you just posted.

EDIT: My mistake. The winch bumper for $370 does include tie ins. Im sure its a fine product. Matter of fact, I just ordered a set of sliders from them. I would have to get the stage two though because the stage 1 looks like pooo at the corners because it doesnt wrap around. That puts me above $400 again. thats, of course, a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
Not only is the price attractive for me, but I've always liked the look of a jeep that is modified tastefully to make it look like it came that way from the factory. Those big winch bumpers may be strong and can take a beating, but it makes the jeep look completely diffirent. I'm sold on the BackBone. As soon as I sell my old Mac Mini I'll be calling Detours and ordering one.

a member of capitaljeeps just ordered one. i'll update this thread when he gets it/we put it on.

good part about an aftermarket bumper: you can use a hilift and not worry about breaking ANYTHING. sure, you could try to hilift with the stock bumper, but i've seen them bend.
with the backbone, you've got one amazing looking package, but no hi lift point. i guess you don't really need a lifting point if you've got a winch, that is unless you're trying to fix something out on the trail.

The backbone also serves as a great place to start from when building a winch bumper. I got one because I wanted to be certain the winch would be mounted solidly and with my fab skills building good mounting brackets would take time I don't have.

I plan to build a solid bumper around the Detours Backbone. For the Backbone £220(~$350) to my door is less than half the cost of a full winch bumper here in England. TJ drivers I know pay £700+ (~$1100) for Hanson bumpers!

Each to their own but the backbone is a great bit of kit if it fits your needs.

2 pages and 1 bad/negative reply.....Nice!

DHL, I have had only 1 bad issue with, other than that, they save 'you' the
customer 10-15 bucks over UPS, and shows up on time.

Most folks Hi-Lift off there rock rails, but thats a valid concern I'll look into.

Thankyou to those who actually 'own' the product, you're the best and your
replies are what matter to me.

The BackBone is also now available for your ZJ friends, 100% bolt-on, web
site currently being updated....

Have a great day!!!

Back