• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5" Lift 5" Too High In Rear!!!!HELP!

Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is up at a 4wd shop and they put the springs under the sucker and the 3.5" lift is sitting at aroung 8.5" in the rear! I called RE and the springs are indeed the 3.5" springs(acording to the number painted on the springs themselves). Has anybody had there lift be this bad? If so, will it settle quickly? is it possible that they painted the numbers on the wrong springs and then sent them to me?
i tried to search but I really need some answers as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance...

Jeeper-

they usally sit high after istalling
not too sure about 5in higher

but u can put some extra weight in the back and drive around with that in the rear and just see how it goes

but i should settle

cas

I;ve heard that they sit at around 4.5" or so but 8.5"? I'm worried that they wont settle soon enough. I could stand like a couple inches but not 5.

Jeeper-

Did you/they tighten the shackle bolts with the vehicle on the ground or on the lift?

Jeeper said:
yes. they put the car on the ground before tightening it all up up.

Jeeper-

Humm not sure then. When I installed that kit on my XJ back in the day the rear sat at about 5.5 and then settled in at 4.5".

right. that sounds a little more reasonable. but siting at around 8.5" seems a little too much. I'm worried that I will mesure for the shocks and drive shaft and then later on things are going to start binding.

xjj33p3r said:
Carry around 400lb of cement. Should settle that problem real quick.

lol

Not a bad idea. I could give it a try, but I still have the problem with the drive shaft measurment. Maybe it will work out ok. I had one man tell me that if I put sand bags or somthing in the back, and wheeled it alot I could have it all settled in a couple weeks or so. GHas anybody done this before?

Jeeper-

Flexing out the springs as much as you can should help with the added height, but I had a friend with a problem like yours, so I can tell you that the chances of those leafs sagging alot is minimal, since he had to get rid of the leafs to get the right height.

xjj33p3r said:
Flexing out the springs as much as you can should help with the added height, but I had a friend with a problem like yours, so I can tell you that the chances of those leafs sagging alot is minimal, since he had to get rid of the leafs to get the right height.

How long did he have the leafs before he gave up on them and switched them out?

Well...

Look on the bright side...

You can always pull a leaf or two and keep them as spares until (if ever) it starts to sag...

:D

It seems you got more for your money...

you do indeed have a point. we also thought about taking it to a machine shop and having them put it under a load to bring a little bit of the shock out of it. I like the Idea of removing a leaf better though. thanks.

same thing happened to my RE 3.5" lift, the combo of the full spring pack and my Bilstien shocks made the ride terribly harsh in the rear. I droped the rear axle and pulled the single bottom leaf and it made all the difference in the world. I lost 1-1.5" immediaetly, and the ride is MUCH better.

L.R.

my 3.5" leafs still sit at 5.25" after 2 hard years of life. for the sake of asking.

where and how are you measuring the "lift" at"?

and comparing it to what? your sagged OEM height?

IIRC the OEM measurement from center of the hub to the lower edge of an undamaged factory fender flare is:
front: 17"
rear: 16.5"
(i couldnt find that info on a search and thats from memory, thats what i base my measurements on. 97+ body had different measurements but i cant remember)

creeperjeep said:
i personally wouldnt complain, besides the shop is prolly just retarted

I can assure you they are not, especially looking at all their accomplishments.
To take a leaf out is not an ideal option.
The 3.5 RE leafs are going to be replaced with BDS leafs. The NEW RE leafs will be put up for sale.

Back