• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing ease

BrianRedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have never tow a trailer before I'm going to be getting a dirt bike and was thinking that when I'm not going with my roommate who has a truck i'll need some way to get my bike to where i want to go. So i was either thinking one of those bike carriers that go on the back of the suv's or a bike trailer picture below. How do you think an XJ would handle with these options. I have never tow anything before is it going to make braking down right dangerous?
Thanks for any input guys.

I tow a 5'x8' utility trailer behind my XJ without problems. Usually have about 1000 lbs. of junk on it, going to the dump. Don't even know it's there.

I would think about a tranny cooler, if you don't already have one. Make sure your rig is up to snuff mechanically. Don't let the trailer drive you. Take it easy, watch your mirrors, no sudden movements. Like anything, it takes practice.

I would also think about what type of trailer you want to get. That bike trailer looks cool, but what if you need to haul anything else? I would recommend a small utility trailer, that way you can haul more than bikes.

My $0.02

I trailer my Mustang occasionally, car + trailer = about 4000 lbs. I have an AW4 2WD with the factory towing package, it's rated at 5000 lbs. I keep it in 3rd gear, never OD.

One key is to load your trailer so that the weight is slightly forward putting a little downward pressure on the hitch. If the weight is too far back you can have some scary handling problems.

A little practice backing up in an empty parking lot is a good idea, you'll be fine.

Back