• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Replacement Thermostat Housing

coreys

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I had a small drip coming from the thermostat housing. I decided to replace the thermostat and seal the leak. Unfortunatly, the thermostat housing has a crack in it above the lower bolt. Anyone know where I can buy a new thermostat housing? I have a 88 XJ 4.0.

Thanks

Last edited:
Dealer. They are not expensive - $12-14 IIRC
You can dremel some meat out of the stocker. Hesco has one for $20 that is supposed to be better, smoother flow around the bend, instead of a 90 degree slam turn.

The later model housing, 91-up will have a port for the temp sensor. If you still have the closed cooling system, you won't need it. Get a plug. Done.

kevin s said:
Dealer. They are not expensive - $12-14 IIRC
You can dremel some meat out of the stocker. Hesco has one for $20 that is supposed to be better, smoother flow around the bend, instead of a 90 degree slam turn.

The later model housing, 91-up will have a port for the temp sensor. If you still have the closed cooling system, you won't need it. Get a plug. Done.
I'm thinking of getting the 91+ housing and moving temp sensor to there on my 89 closed system. For one thing, it'll make the Aux Fan more resonsive, for another, the switch in my radiator is shot anyway.

I picked up a new thermostat housing at the dealer along with a OE thermostat. The dealer said that some of the aftermarket thermostats are too large for the factory housing and will cause them to crack. I've got the new on on, but I still have a slight drip. I guess I will keep trying until it stops!

coreys said:
I picked up a new thermostat housing at the dealer along with a OE thermostat. The dealer said that some of the aftermarket thermostats are too large for the factory housing and will cause them to crack. I've got the new on on, but I still have a slight drip. I guess I will keep trying until it stops!

I,m going to call BS on that.The stat fits in a recess in the head.That is then covered by the gasket.The only way that the stat cracks the housing is if it slips out of the head and the housing is tightened.It has happened to me,even when using RTV to hold the stat in place.My hand doesn,t bend the right way to start the bolt and hold the housing tight.
Wayne

i got mine from advance auto parts. they didn't have it in the store, but they had it next day. dealer wanted a little over 20, advance was about 15. both places had a 1 day wait. advance is usually cheaper and its closer.

dynamite44 said:
i got mine from advance auto parts. they didn't have it in the store, but they had it next day. dealer wanted a little over 20, advance was about 15. both places had a 1 day wait. advance is usually cheaper and its closer.

we're ready in advance

I've had the one from Turbo City on for about 6 or 7 years. I picked up a gasket from the dealer if I recall, never had any problems with it at all.

Back