• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a height where I can use a SYE and not modify the driveshaft?

490Chaser

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading another discussion and thinking... "When I go to 3.5in I would rather not add shims to my t-case drop."

If I got a Hack N Tap, would a 3.5" lift cause vibes in my 99?

Griff

490Chaser said:
I was reading another discussion and thinking... "When I go to 3.5in I would rather not add shims to my t-case drop."

If I got a Hack N Tap, would a 3.5" lift cause vibes in my 99?

Griff
When you get sye you need a new driveshaft because of how things connect/work.

Ok,

What If I replaced my slip yoke with a longer one from a YJ? How many degrees would that change the pinion angle or how much lift would bring that back to the factory angle?

A YJ slip yoke wont change the angle of anything. All it does is give you a longer slip yoke so you get more spline engagement with the stock length driveshaft.

490Chaser said:
Ok,

What If I replaced my slip yoke with a longer one from a YJ?
It's only about 1/8" longer. The benefit of the YJ one is an opening which is machined so that there is a smaller likelyhood of binding.

I stand corrected then. I havent compared them side by side. Ive only read that they are longer. They are actually sold by a couple retailers as " vibration reducing kits". The ujoint angles at 3-4" shouldnt be enough to bind so a YJ SY is basically worthless then.

EDIT: Maybe there is a difference in the length of XJ SYs between pre 96 and 96+. MAybe the YJ one is only longer than the pre 96 SY?

Last edited:
YJ slip yokes are higher clearance. This means they prevent binding at the slip yoke from the angles created by the lift. I had one that would click when the joint bound. One YJ slip yoke later and abracadabra...no more binding. It's a great fix around 4"-5" of lift. That also depends on the Jeep obviously.

Ray H said:
I stand corrected then. I havent compared them side by side. Ive only read that they are longer. They are actually sold by a couple retailers as " vibration reducing kits". The ujoint angles at 3-4" shouldnt be enough to bind so a YJ SY is basically worthless then.

EDIT: Maybe there is a difference in the length of XJ SYs between pre 96 and 96+. MAybe the YJ one is only longer than the pre 96 SY?

The 96 comes with a longer slip yoke from the factory a whopping 5/8".

Just to clarify a few things...

The "slip yoke" is, as you know, the internally-splined tube that goes into the back of the transfer case. If you're going to put a SYE in, you're going to get rid of that attachment (Slip Yoke Eliminator.) This means that you're going to have a yoke a lot like you have at the rear axle, on the back of your transfer case (probably more like that for the front output, but you get the idea.)

No matter what you do, you're going to want a new driveshaft when you do an SYE. Not only because of the attachment change, but because you're also eliminating a "self-adjustment" point - you'll have to put a splined slipjoint in the middle of the shaft - so you're rear driveshaft is going to end up like your front. The principal difference? You won't have the double Cardan joint in your rear - unless you really want it.

If you get a hack & tap (or any other SYE,) you've solved one problem - driveshaft bind. You aren't doing anything to solve another problem you can run into - U-joint phasing. Let me elaborate...

With Cardan joints (the regular "cross" style joints we use,) the driveshaft actually speeds up and slows down infinitesimally, when the joint comes into play (when the shaft is bent through a slight angle.) How much depends upon how much the shaft is bent - but that's the source of vibration.

U-Joint phasing consists of two main parts - first, both yokes (and therefore joints) need to be aligned so that the "crosses" are oriented the same way. Make a shaft with the cross like + at one end and x at the other, and there's nothing you can do but start over. Both ends need to be + & + - no misalignment.

Second, and just as important, is that both joints have to go through the same angle when bent - just in opposite directions. Therefore, if the driveshaft is DOWN eight degrees from horizontal at the top, it needs to be UP eight degrees from horizontal at the bottom. This can be mitigated somewhat by using a "double Cardan" joint like on the front driveshaft - the two joints in the thing will ALWAYS be directly opposed. However, you'll want the centreline of the driveshaft to be common with the centreline of the input yoke on the axle, or you'll get vibrations anyhow (because there's nothing to "iron out" the vibes from that joint,) unless you go with double Cardans at both ends.

It's theoretically possible to get your new driveshaft with an extra-long slip joint - this should eliminate the need to buy a new one when you lift. However, driveshaft angles are still at issue - you're likely to need tcase lowering &/or axle "degree" shims to level it out. Unless you go with double Cardans at both ends - and even then, it may still be an issue.

5-90

5-90 said:
Just to clarify a few things...

The "slip yoke" is, as you know, the internally-splined tube that goes into the back of the transfer case. If you're going to put a SYE in, you're going to get rid of that attachment (Slip Yoke Eliminator.) This means that you're going to have a yoke a lot like you have at the rear axle, on the back of your transfer case (probably more like that for the front output, but you get the idea.)

No matter what you do, you're going to want a new driveshaft when you do an SYE. Not only because of the attachment change, but because you're also eliminating a "self-adjustment" point - you'll have to put a splined slipjoint in the middle of the shaft - so you're rear driveshaft is going to end up like your front. The principal difference? You won't have the double Cardan joint in your rear - unless you really want it.

If you get a hack & tap (or any other SYE,) you've solved one problem - driveshaft bind. You aren't doing anything to solve another problem you can run into - U-joint phasing. Let me elaborate...

With Cardan joints (the regular "cross" style joints we use,) the driveshaft actually speeds up and slows down infinitesimally, when the joint comes into play (when the shaft is bent through a slight angle.) How much depends upon how much the shaft is bent - but that's the source of vibration.

U-Joint phasing consists of two main parts - first, both yokes (and therefore joints) need to be aligned so that the "crosses" are oriented the same way. Make a shaft with the cross like + at one end and x at the other, and there's nothing you can do but start over. Both ends need to be + & + - no misalignment.

Second, and just as important, is that both joints have to go through the same angle when bent - just in opposite directions. Therefore, if the driveshaft is DOWN eight degrees from horizontal at the top, it needs to be UP eight degrees from horizontal at the bottom. This can be mitigated somewhat by using a "double Cardan" joint like on the front driveshaft - the two joints in the thing will ALWAYS be directly opposed. However, you'll want the centreline of the driveshaft to be common with the centreline of the input yoke on the axle, or you'll get vibrations anyhow (because there's nothing to "iron out" the vibes from that joint,) unless you go with double Cardans at both ends.

It's theoretically possible to get your new driveshaft with an extra-long slip joint - this should eliminate the need to buy a new one when you lift. However, driveshaft angles are still at issue - you're likely to need tcase lowering &/or axle "degree" shims to level it out. Unless you go with double Cardans at both ends - and even then, it may still be an issue.

5-90

infinitesimally? that just made my braine hurt

Back