• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable control arms?

88WoodXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have some suspension work to do and am looking to replace my factory upper and lower control arms.

I use my jeep to mainly do civilian beating of pavement but occasionally beat it against the frindly rock or two.

I am interested in getting some stronger control arms but am wondering the advantage of fixed control arms over adjustable (I have an Ole Man Emu 2.5 lift with ZJ coils in the front and have no intention on going any higher). Is there any reason to think about adjustable arms with just a 2.5" lift?

And which brand JKS or Rusty's?

88WoodXJ said:
I have some suspension work to do and am looking to replace my factory upper and lower control arms.

I use my jeep to mainly do civilian beating of pavement but occasionally beat it against the frindly rock or two.

I am interested in getting some stronger control arms but am wondering the advantage of fixed control arms over adjustable (I have an Ole Man Emu 2.5 lift with ZJ coils in the front and have no intention on going any higher). Is there any reason to think about adjustable arms with just a 2.5" lift?

Adjustable uppers all the way (you get to adjust your front pinion angle that way.
Lowers... I like fixed so that when you're sliding over a rock you don't have the "adjusting nut" to hang on... but then again they're fixed and you don't get to choose the length you want them to be and compensate for more and more lift.
Oh yeah... RE superflex.

Im going to be in about the same boat. Im putting a 3" lift on and have been shopping for arms. I would like to keep the ride nice and at the same time, get some flex out of it. As far as adjustable verses fixed, at 2.5 or even 3" there should be enough adjustment built into the XJ to set your caster and pinion without getting adjustable arms.
Any arm with a flex joint, either a twist joint in the middle like JKS or a Johnny joint like RE is going to flex well. Although the JJ will have an adverse effect on ride because you are elliminating one of the rubber bushings that absorb road noise and shock. Im staying away from poly on any arm I get. Poly is stiff and resists flex and will transmit more road to the cab. JKS arms are probably the best solution because they have all rubber bushings and still flex well and are adjustable but they are also $$$$$. I hate to say it but the second best solution the way I see it is the factory arms. They ride and flex well because of the rubber bushings and the fact that they are not rigid like tube arms are. Something else to consider when buying arms is how much force will be transmitted to the control arm mounts. Again poly doesnt give so all the twist is transfered to the mounts. rubber gives and will absorb most twist and flex arms are the best. The stock XJ has a caster adjustment that can be used to shorten or lengthen the lower arms about 3/8". That should be enough to account for 2-3" of lift so I dont see much advantage to simply going to adjustable arms at that lift. If I get new arms at this point in my lift, it will be for better flex and the stock arms flex as well as any non articulating arm on the market. If youre running 31s, another option is WJ arms. They have a dogleg in them that will keep your tires from rubbing the control arm, as opposed to adjusting the steering stops.

I am running a 3 in BDS suspension lift, and I havent touched my control arms. Granted its a slightly rougher ride than it was w/o a lift, but thats partially due to the far stiffer springs. I havent found any great need to upgrade my control arms, with the exception, like ray said, for more flex or to throw in some WJ arms. So I wouldnt be too worried about needing to upgrade unless you have your heart set on it. I am currently running 30in tires now, but soon upgrading to 31s, so that may be coming.. but just out of clarification, what control arms would need to be replaced with the WJ arms, just the LCAs?

themangeraaad said:
but just out of clarification, what control arms would need to be replaced with the WJ arms, just the LCAs?

The way I understand it, and I havent compared them side by side, is that the WJ lower arms are the same length as stock XJ arms but are slightly bent towards middle of the Jeep just enough to keep larger tires from rubbing at full lock. I dont see any reason to change out the uppers when using WJ lowers.

88WoodXJ said:

Go this route and get flex, adjustable and save a bunch of money.

These are quality CA's by Rough Country

G_20481G_SW_1.gif;pvd1a0c808ef428bfd
Check this link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2010447/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2010447/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=control%20arms

I've been using them for about a year and love them.

rstarch345 said:
Go this route and get flex, adjustable and save a bunch of money.

These are quality CA's by Rough Country

G_20481G_SW_1.gif;pvd1a0c808ef428bfd
Check this link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2010447/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2010447/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=control%20arms

I've been using them for about a year and love them.

How much lift are you running. I'm interested in these arms but wish I knew the measurements.

thanks,
Jason

yeah, I've looked into the adjustable LCA but im kinda going budget right now. Yeah.. I didnt get the cheapest lift kit, but I heard about the WJ LCAs a short while back, and I am swapping out my front and rear axles for 4.10s when I get new tires, but several hundred for the adjustable is kinda out of my price range, as much as they would be great. I have to say that when I asked about what I would need to replace I wasnt thinking much, and yeah, thats all that needs to be replaced. But yeah, I am kinda on a short budget, and over the summer, I need to build a computer for school, as well as get as much done to the jeep as I can... and thats including the axles, wheels, tires, and possibly LCAs. so I cant really afford anything unneeded for now.

jelrod said:
How much lift are you running. I'm interested in these arms but wish I knew the measurements.

thanks,
Jason

I run 3 1/2" lift with 32's and no cutting.

What do you need measurements for? They are adjustable. They go from about 14" to I think 20".

Back