• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new idea for the floors

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
My rear cargo area is already herculined, i havent pulled the front carpet yet. I know im gonna have to cure some rust problems in there, but after i do i plan on getting a molded vinyl flooring instead of herculining or getting new carpet. I am expecting with the vinyl flooring there will still be alot of road noise, i did sum research and found "eDead", its a liquid latex sound deadener, it can be rolled on or brushed on, it can withstand high temps, and best of all its water proof. I know its meant for audio, but whats stopping me from rolling this tuff on my floors and putting the vinyl flooring over it? Sound like a good idea? any input?

eDead
v

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=11&pid=26&tab=Features&cur=USD

I have used it for a Blazer before. Great stuff. Much better than the stupid Car parts store tar pads that they sell. If you are in a real bind and have no other choice, get roofing tar and put it on fairly thin. It will work great for a vehicle you don't plan on having on-road too much.

I have the factory vinyl floor and his has the thick padding just like carpet does - no more noise than carpeted jeeps. Save the $ and trouble of some coating that you are going to cover anyway and use the factory replacement pad

Dupi-color (sp?) has a roll on bedliner that I like (watched midnightrunxj put it on his Comanche).

I used 3M under coat and coverd it with rocker shutz then painted it with flat black then painted the bare metal with hi temp brake caliper paint and then painted it with flat black...yes it took a while.

Is there a compamny that makes vinal factory style insulated flooring besides oe? I am trying to get some for my 95 xj.

gixj90 said:
I have the factory vinyl floor and his has the thick padding just like carpet does - no more noise than carpeted jeeps. Save the $ and trouble of some coating that you are going to cover anyway and use the factory replacement pad

The problem with that idea is if/when water leaks in and gets that padding wet it'll stay wet for a long time and rust out your floor.

i agree w/ jes, that was my reason for choosing eDead, its water proof, so no rusty floors, plus it would reduce noise.

i used snow roof, or something close to that, alot cheaper and does the same thing.... took 5 coats though to get enough thickness, and then i used closed cell rubber mats underneath... they hardly hold any water if they get wet. the snow roof worked well if you have the time to apply, it takes time to set up and mutiple coats take a few weeks. the noise reduction was tremendous. probably cut about 4-5 db's out of the cab, and you can't hardly hear my stereo until I open a door.

AD-8 said:
.....but whats stopping me from rolling this tuff on my floors and putting the vinyl flooring over it? Sound like a good idea? any input?

Only that it's $50 a gallon, and I don't know how you'd calculate how far that'd go...

Robert

Do not use any type of foam or carpet padding once you have fixed the rust once. I have had my XJ for 6 monthes and the floor never got wetter than my feet going onto the floor mat wet. When i puilled the carpet, the carpet was dry but the padding was nasty and moldie and soaking wet!

Back