• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting questions

MarX

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of lifting my XJ roughly 3"-4" using this writeup as reference
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

Just a couple Questions on specifics.
What are other coil options without using spacers?
Will I need an SYE?
Will this lift clear 33"x12.50 tires?(I'm fine with trimming)
Will this still behave on the road as it will be an offroad rig as well as my DD(for now anyways)

Thanks in advance for any responses this gets.
BTW my Jeep is a 1989 4dr LTD 4.0/aw4/3.73rear/D35,D30/NP242 with tow pkg

yeah 33's will fit with heavy trimming at 3". I would go for 4" if you can and coil options are to get 4" lift coils. I do not have a SYE and have no vibes, but others will say to get it. And I have the same Jeep as you but check with the dealership about your gear ratio. Mine is 3.55 and I thought the tow package in 89 came with the 44.

I wish it had the 44, unfortunately the d44's were few and far between and this jeep does not have it. I will be more than likely going for 4" if I can find coils to do so.
What else will I have to upgrade in order for this to be a proper lift?(I know about brake lines and shocks)
Thanks IcedXJ

Well if you go with 4" you should do an extendable(adjustable) track bar. Other than that not much needs to be done. It will perform nicely as a DD mine has a 3" lift and a set of 32's and it rides so nice.

how wide are your 32s? and how much trimming was needed to fit them? I have a 3in lift and I have been trying to determine what tires to get. I have been lookin in the range of 31/10.50 to 31/12.50, but if fitting a 32 isnt too bad, then i would definately go that route. so more or less... how did the 32s fit? and did you need aftermarket LCAs/how much backspacing did ya need?

You will want to look into some longer LCA's and maybe some CA relocation brackets. If you are wantin the 33's you will need the longer LCA's to keep the tire in the middle of the fender instead of up under the jeep.

Back