• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which AX-15

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
I searched....actually, i searched a long time ago, but im pretty sure that this hasn't been covered.

I've got an '88 with the peugeot. Its on its way out and i have nearly everything i need to swap in an AX-15. This includes two (2) ax-15s that I purchased several months apart because one came with all the parts the first one was missing (bellhousing, input bearing cover for external slave).

One is from a 91 cherokee with only 16K miles on it....I want to use this one with the external slave BH and input bearing retainer.

The second tranny, i've been told, is from a '94 YJ with much evidence of wear.

Here is my question:

The only differences that i notice between the two trannys is that what appears to be the mounts for the transfercase shifter are not the same. The tranny from the YJ has a stand-off located adjacent to the rear flange. The tranny from the XJ doesnt have this. the most forward stand-offs are different too.
Also, the section of the input shaft that protrudes out past the splines is different diameter between the two. This is where the pilot bearing fits, right? I've been reading up on several of these swaps and havn't seen anywhere that mentions a difference in the ID of the pilot bearing between the years for the AX-15. Only a difference in the OD in the crank race. maybe i didnt read enough...who knows

the question....which one to use with my '88 4.0L engine????

I can get pics up if someone can tell me where to post them that allows direct linking.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am currently switching out my BA10 for an AX-15. If you can, I would use the 91 AX-15 but swap out the input shaft, front bearing retainer and bellhousing from the 94YJ AX-15. I purchased a 91 XJ AX-15 and wanted to convert it to the external slave model, but I haven't been able to find the input bearing retainer for under $250.00 and another $170.00 for the new input shaft.

I believe the external slave version uses the larger ID pilot bearing. My new clutch kit from LUK came with both sizes of pilot bearings. To change out the input shaft, you will need to split the transmission and remove the two halves. From what I can see, you can't use the input shaft from the internal slave version because there is no smooth surface for the TO bearing to to ride on. Also the OD of the 10 spline area is larger than the rest of the shaft and the TO bearing would would be to large for the internal slave version's input shaft.

Good luck,
Rob

Thanks for the info. I'm on travel right now, so ill have to post pics later this week. f

from what you describe, it looks like i have everything i need. the bearing retainer is the surface that the TO bearing will slide on. Picture the bearing retainer plate with a tube that extends up to the splined section on the imput shaft (covers the shaft). I assume this is where the TO bearing sits. It's all one piece.

The two imput shafts look identical except for the different diameter on the pilot bearing protrusion thingy. I dont see why i would need to swap them if there is a pilot bearing/bushing that has a small ID and will fit in my crank.

I plan to use the 91 tranny...the external bearing retainer and BH. I guess i'll know if it will work when i get it torn apart. i just wanted to get it done fast....the garage is meant for my commuter car that has paint left :). So having all the parts ahead of time is crutial.

The threaded stand-offs are different between the two trannys, so i will have to get some pics up and see if anyone knows which one might work better for adapting my transfercase shift linkage... although, i guess fabbing up a new linkage would be easier than taking the tranny apart to swap the rear case out.

I'll get some pics goin here and see if that can help memory.

Thanks

Back