• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust'ys Spring Settling?

89BlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have read the posts about the RE springs running higher than advertised which is awesome....but does anyone know how the Rusty's springs will measure up....How much lift can i expect on a 4.5 lift kit with full spring packs in the rear new...and what will it settle too?

Rusty has changed his spring supplier a few times over the years. I had 4.5" lift leaf springs about five years ago. Initially they went in higher than 4.5" on stock shackles but settled to 4.5" alround in a couple of months. Then during the next six months one side steadily sagged another inch and became noticeably uneven. Rusty was quick to react and sent me some replacement leaves. I rebuilt the spring pack and they were both fine for another six months then they both started sagging below 4". I used longer shackles and they were fine for a while but then started to sag again. As I was running events or doing trail recce's almost every weekend I put it down to carrying a truck full of recovery gear permanently and wheeling too much! They just plain wore out. I had some military wrap springs made locally, but they are very agricultural. They haven't sagged, but they don't flex anywhere near as good as Rusty's. I do miss the flex.

In recent years, some friends have bought Rusty's springs. Some love them, some have had sagging problems. Almost all that I can remember that have had problems seem to have been used in XJ's that regularly carried three adult passengers and recovery gear when offroad. I don't know anyone personally that has bought Rusty's springs in the last two years so quality may have improved. The XJ's SOA design really puts the leafspring under a lot of stress, I've seen almost every brand of popular spring sag on club member's XJs, even Old Man Emu HD's 2" lift.

My best ever non sagging springs were two years of wheeling on an already sagged set of factory springs with Rusty's full length add-a-leafs. I even sold them on to someone afterwards who was impressed by their sag resistance.

In my opinion, it's a component with a limited life span just like a tire and how you use your Jeep factors a lot when it comes to the serviceable life of the component.

I would recommend Big Offroad leafs. They are rated at 1.5" taller than labeled, since they are meant to carry 300+ pounds of gear. Once you have that amount of gear in the back, the rear end will sit as it should, and they will flex great. I used to run Rusty's 4.5" springs, and one spring sagged nearly 2", but Rusty didn't want to replace it for me. From experience, and hearsay, I wouldn't recommend Rusty's leafs.

I Installed new rustys 6.5" springs and I definatley netted about 7.5-8"

plus I have atleast 2-300 pounds of tool, spare parts, and Junk in the back of my XJ

upfront I Installed used 5.5" RE coils, with a 1.75" poly spacer and It still sits a hint lower then the rear...granite I do have 100lb bumper and 100lb winch on the front....

Im running 35's and It looks retarded, atleast in the rear, but thats all the axles will allow at this time....oh yea Im trimmed

also the Lift has only been on 2 months

I went with the Rustys 3" lift. Netted 5" in the rear. Had the lift on now for 2 years and about 40K miles. Rear is at 4" still and Last weekend I put on Daystar lift shackles so I'm back up to 5" in the rear. Coil spacer in the front. Lots of offroad miles on the lift and a couple trips to Moab and there still holding up pretty good. Very happy with the lift.

my rustys 6.5's gave 7.5 inches as well. they have not sagged yet after 5 months. from what his website says they dont sag anymore and they havent had to warrent a pack in the last 2 years. its a 6 leaf, bigoffroad 8'' double wraps are next!

I've had the 4.5" springs for a little over 2years now. With a 3/4" lift shackle the jeep is sitting at 6". That tells me I'm still getting 5.25" out of the springs. JIM.

Back