• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft material for lengthening

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
I need to add about 2" to my rear shaft, and was going to do the typ (well to me) and just cut it about mid way between the slip and the CV. The current tube OD is 2" and I was just going to get a 2" ID tube and and allow for about 5" over hang on either side of the cut and slip each end in the tube adn when its the right length, just weld both ends.

Basically just sleeve it but with about a 2" wide area in the center that is just the new 2"od pipe.

My question is if theres any forseeable reason not to use 2" sched 40 for the slip extension piece? i know its heavy and all but I cant find 2.250x.120 4130 locally so screw it, might as well just get whats needed then and not go over kill?

it wont balence, but i lengthened mine 8" w/ sched 40, just butted it up and layed one continuous bead around, beat it hard, bashed it on a few rocks, not a prob

nope this will be my driving on rear shaft. I was planning on balancing it at a shop though.

But after looking at it today and all.. I am just going to take some 4130 ofer to unitrax and have them retube it wit good stuff to he right lenght.

i have a buddy that has built several drive shafts out of muffler tubing and all have lasted till they were bashed almost flat on rocks. :gag:

Back