• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Install Patterns

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
Working on a hp 44, looks to me like I might eed to mive the pinion in a little, what do you guys think? if so how much do you Think?

nbygs9.jpg

nbyhia.jpg

I might move it in .001 if that. It looks pretty close but you're sittin a little too far. move it in a little bit

It looks decent, but that's either horrible patterning paint, or your pinion is dirty.

Put a couple of drops of gear oil in your paint, mix it up to thin it a bit, and re-pattern.

CRASH said:
It looks decent, but that's either horrible patterning paint, or your pinion is dirty.

Put a couple of drops of gear oil in your paint, mix it up to thin it a bit, and re-pattern.
Ditto, I don't see how you can acurately read a pattern that messy...

Throw a rag around the yoke and give it some tension so you can get a better pattern.
You should be turning the ring gear against the pinion anyway.
Looks like you may be close, though.

uhh ive never done any regearing but what the hell are you looking at when you do this how can you even tell the pinion is too far in or not the ring is covered in paint. what do you look for?

Shomsky462 said:
uhh ive never done any regearing but what the hell are you looking at when you do this how can you even tell the pinion is too far in or not the ring is covered in paint. what do you look for?

the teeth are coated evenly and the worn off paint is the areas where the teeth mesh together. you can tell if the pinion is too far in and out or the ring gear is too far left or right by looking at the pattern of worn paint. people post them here to get some other opinions of how much shim they should use in a certain area to get the gear pattern right.

jeepers! have you changed anything between the two sets of pics you have taken those look like they have changed alot. must just be the wierd marking compound. hold the camera a little further away from the housing. looks now like the ya need to come out a little with the pinion.

bj-666 said:
jeepers! have you changed anything between the two sets of pics you have taken those look like they have changed alot. must just be the wierd marking compound. hold the camera a little further away from the housing. looks now like the ya need to come out a little with the pinion.

Yea I put 0.002" in didn't change the pattern at all, so I added 0.006....now I get to take it all apart and do it again the morning. I should be able to nail it though.

yup .003 prob wold have done ya. well now your getting good at pulling it apart it shouldn't be a prob.:laugh3:

so correct me if im wrong but in the last pic does that mean that it is too far in? because there is a lack of paint towards the inside of the ring gear? is that right?

What you're looking for is a nice football shape to the pattern. When it's not centered up a flat line will appear on one side of the pattern. His pic shows the flat at the bottom, or too deep.

Adjusting backlash makes up the other side of the pattern, the heel to toe placement. Decreasing the backlash brings the mesh towards the center of the diff. I usually don't worry about that part of the pattern, just keep the b/l in spec while you set the depth.

I've found that a lot of the time the best read is off the small pattern in the middle of the larger one on difficult gears. It usually doesn't show up on camera.

For those of us interested in actually seeing how this should look... does anyone have pics to post as to what the proper look/pattern/shape to be looking for is? As much as a desciption helps.. a photo showing it would be great

themangeraaad said:
For those of us interested in actually seeing how this should look... does anyone have pics to post as to what the proper look/pattern/shape to be looking for is? As much as a desciption helps.. a photo showing it would be great

All you ever wanted to know

JJacobs said:
I've found that a lot of the time the best read is off the small pattern in the middle of the larger one on difficult gears. It usually doesn't show up on camera.

Ditto this.....

Back