• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting OEM Seat Covers in the Washing Machine?

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
So I have the seats out, patching holes in the floor on the XJ. This is a '95, and I've looked over the seats, it appears with only a little bit of effort the covers can be removed from the seat. The seat covers are rather dirty and lightly stained.

The covers do have vinyl, and even carpet, in the non-sitting areas, as well the inside of the covers have some soft foam lining them and various loose white fabric backings.

I'd like to throw the covers in the washing machine and try to clean them. My wife thinks the seats covers won't survive the washing machine, that either the foam layer on the inside or the white fabric backing won't survive.

Any opinions? Has anyone tried this? Will it clean the seat covers OR mess them up?

Last edited:
on my 87 I did that no problems but dont put them in the dryer.
I got mine from a junk yard so I had nothing to lose.
try at own risk.

I sunk my jeep about this time last year (up to the side view mirrors) and I took everything out, carpets and all. The seat covers did very well in the washer on the gentle cycle and they came out very very clean. If in the event you need to clean your carpets, only do it on a very hot day/week or they will take forever to dry. I took mine to the car wash, hung them on the wall, sprayed them down with simple green and kept spraying till no more suds came out. Hope that helps. Dry everything in the sun or in a very warm room (sun was cheaper than turning the heater up).

I clean carpet, upholstery, draperies etc for aliving. I do stupid things on the side. Yes don't use the dryer , sun is best. Try to put them back on before they are fully dry. Don't forget the Downey. They are going to look great and the jeep will smell fresh. If you want to clean the rugs , scrub them good , use a good brush and a sprayer as opposed to soaking. Removing them and sun drying will be best . Since i quess you dont have a carpet cleaning use any old wet vac and often to prevent soaking.

There are zippers they are tucked in , just need to look closely. They also have some plastic retainers which just pull off. But if your seat covers have rug at the bottom, are they waggoneer leather seats ? I know for sure the older , at lest 86 and down were not leather. I took some seat covers off some 86 & 87 waggoneers so the re-upholstery shop can recover my old Laredo seats. My xj is a base model that i transferd all the power options to. But now the alarm/ stereo shop says they only charge $350 to install APC seat . Thats totall price installed w/o tax. That's less than buying the seats themselves.

Forgot to add the rear seats are even easier to remove.

Rick Anderson said:
53Guy, from Quntico, VA? as in CH-53E?

This is Mongo, flew CH-53E's for years, I'm still in the Reserves but not flying.

Sure am, flying with the Marines best now.....wow I dislike it up here however. There is so much political crap up here to make an elephant puke. What squadron? Pilot or crew?

Aircrew HMT-302 03-04, HMX-1 (i love the ot&e stuff here!) 04-present, attached to Pax River for OT&E 04+6months, and attached to Sikorsky for HLR (53K) development. I'm the dumb Sgt who develops all the crap we give to the FMF. We developed the XM-218 mounts and gun, tested and all, ALE-49, all the external loads are certified by me and a few others, etc. The test and development is a blast, but everything else kinda sucks.

Back