• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hot exhaust?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Should the exhaust temp. at the dump be hot enough to melt plastic? I have a 94xj and took it up to RI this weekend (2 hr drive) and what i did was put shackles on it to get another inch, b/c of this i had to cut a few inches off the end of the tail pipe, causing the pipe to be aiming straight out the back of the jeep, and i have those two plastic blocks on my bumper, well it was lined up and after the trip i noticed it was completely melted. I always thought my engine ran hot b/c my other two xj's always ran on the cooler side of the 210 mark, but this one since i bought it has always run on the hotter side of the 210 mark. Now my exhaust is melting plastic. What do you guys think? normal or do i have a problem?

Normal.

The engine runs at 210 degrees. The exhaust is much, much hotter. I had my exhaust melt a couple of plastic tire retainer rings on my hitch mounted bike rack.

A turndown exhaust tip solved my problem.

JeepXJ93 said:
Should the exhaust temp. at the dump be hot enough to melt plastic? I have a 94xj and took it up to RI this weekend (2 hr drive) and what i did was put shackles on it to get another inch, b/c of this i had to cut a few inches off the end of the tail pipe, causing the pipe to be aiming straight out the back of the jeep, and i have those two plastic blocks on my bumper, well it was lined up and after the trip i noticed it was completely melted. I always thought my engine ran hot b/c my other two xj's always ran on the cooler side of the 210 mark, but this one since i bought it has always run on the hotter side of the 210 mark. Now my exhaust is melting plastic. What do you guys think? normal or do i have a problem?
Normal

Back