• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed the clutch: now have no 4x4 or spedo..HELP PLEASE!

88'XJ

NAXJA Forum User
okay...first off...yes everything is pluged in

second, i cleaned the vacume thing on the axel before the i did the clutch and 4wd was working real nice...now i get nothing. so some fluid (a little) leaked out of the transfer while doing the clutch...will that effect the vacume from the transfer? (gonna change it shortly)

and now the spedo cable...its pluged in the transfer...but i have no spedo...is there a trick to it?

thanks

the little bit of oil out of the t-case will not affect you having 4wd or not..what you want to check is your vacuum lines to the axle, and make sure that your linkage from the lever to the t-case is working correctly. I am guessing that when you took out the trans you disconnected that linkage. does it feel like there is a definate clicking when you lift the lever or is it relitavely easy to move? maybe have a friend pull the lever while you look underneath to see if the linkage is moving the lever on the case. and for the speedo cable, the only trick is that the cable will have a flat spot on it where it screws on, that flat spot needs to lign up right or it will not spin correctly. you probably didnt get it ligned up correct...were you able to screw the cable on all the way? hope this all helps

muddygp said:
the little bit of oil out of the t-case will not affect you having 4wd or not..what you want to check is your vacuum lines to the axle, and make sure that your linkage from the lever to the t-case is working correctly. I am guessing that when you took out the trans you disconnected that linkage. does it feel like there is a definate clicking when you lift the lever or is it relitavely easy to move? maybe have a friend pull the lever while you look underneath to see if the linkage is moving the lever on the case. and for the speedo cable, the only trick is that the cable will have a flat spot on it where it screws on, that flat spot needs to lign up right or it will not spin correctly. you probably didnt get it ligned up correct...were you able to screw the cable on all the way? hope this all helps

the linkage is hooked up (i have low) i guess i need a vacume tester...

my friend did most of hte work...he has done a clutch 2 or 3 times on a early 90's wrangler...i'll have to check the spedo cable again...

i like the vacume engaging front axel...but a track-lock is looking better and better.

thanks...any one else? is there a vacume layout online some where i can look at?

on a side not...is the vacume actuator supose to rotate around loosly on the axel?

Back