• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke shim in D35, should i go for an 8.8?

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
well its been a long weekend, long story short, bought an XJ with a D35 with a detroit mix that with a wife that doesnt know any better and she just wants to take the jeep to run an errand and next thing you know you got a broken axle shaft, now i believe all those old D35 rumors.

well after a trip to pick a part i got the replacement shaft, and when reinstalling the carrier i broke the diff adj shim, awesome huh!

well i could use this as an excuse to go ahead and get an 8.8 ($100 @ pick a part) with dish brakes and throw on TnTs u-bolt eliminators for an extra 1.5" ($135) of lift and M.O.R.E.s yoke adapter ($40) and call it a learning experience. Are those all the parts ill need? ill reuse my other shock mounts.

or should i just try to locate a adj shim, where could i find one? would any old drivetrain shop be able to measure it up and give me one on the spot or is this something im gonna have to order and wait for UPS to give me, the old shim is broken in half should i just shove it in there and hope it doesnt fall out? I hate this crap.

ive got a well polished turd already and i could sell the shafts, detroit, re-enforced diff cover, 4.56 gears and i could try to break even or should i get a new shim. help me!

xXJx said:
well its been a long weekend, long story short, bought an XJ with a D35 with a detroit mix that with a wife that doesnt know any better and she just wants to take the jeep to run an errand and next thing you know you got a broken axle shaft, now i believe all those old D35 rumors.

well after a trip to pick a part i got the replacement shaft, and when reinstalling the carrier i broke the diff adj shim, awesome huh!

well i could use this as an excuse to go ahead and get an 8.8 ($100 @ pick a part) with dish brakes and throw on TnTs u-bolt eliminators for an extra 1.5" ($135) of lift and M.O.R.E.s yoke adapter ($40) and call it a learning experience. Are those all the parts ill need? ill reuse my other shock mounts.

or should i just try to locate a adj shim, where could i find one? would any old drivetrain shop be able to measure it up and give me one on the spot or is this something im gonna have to order and wait for UPS to give me, the old shim is broken in half should i just shove it in there and hope it doesnt fall out? I hate this crap.

ive got a well polished turd already and i could sell the shafts, detroit, re-enforced diff cover, 4.56 gears and i could try to break even or should i get a new shim. help me!
U-bolt elminators come with hi-clearance shock mounts. No need to reuse old parts.

tealcherokee said:
whats the big hype w/ these u bolt eliminators, when did u bolts become such a bad thing?
Only thing that I can think of is when you take off a Ubolt you have to replace it. If you have the eliminators its just a bolt, which is a lot easier to get. But Im not sure how much you take out an axle to need them.

cheap source of lift without the sketchyness of blocks and without messing up my ride quality. the less arched out your leaf pack is the more comfort. I can be comfortable at around 6.5-7 now without worries.

Go to a 4WD shop and take your shim with you.
They'd probably be more than happy to measure your shim and slide you a stack of install shims that thickness.
In my shop I probably have a 5 foot thick stack worth of shims left over from installs.

Back