• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The NP231

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to know if the NP 231 out of Jeep witha driver side drop was the same as a Chevy NP231 with a driver side drop. I want to out an NP231 and I can get one from a Jeep but someone brought up that it may not be compatible with the TH350 or 700r4.

IcedXJ said:
I wanted to know if the NP 231 out of Jeep witha driver side drop was the same as a Chevy NP231 with a driver side drop. I want to out an NP231 and I can get one from a Jeep but someone brought up that it may not be compatible with the TH350 or 700r4.

there are different adapters for all trannys to mate to different TC's, the aw4 uses one too........I do belive the chevy will adapt bolt pattern wise but it is a 27 spline input........also the chevy 231 is passenger side drop

IcedXJ said:
okay. I will be getting a t-case in the next days. Thanks.

Jeep, Dodge and Chevy versions all use a 6 bolt circular bolt pattern. This pattern is NOT symmetrical and will only bolt up one way. You can typically bolt a Jeep unit to a Dodge transmission and vice versa, however Chevrolet units are NOT cross compatible: While GM uses the same 6 bolt pattern, they have it rotate approximately 90 degrees from that used by jeep dodge.

IcedXJ said:
yeah that is what I was going to get...now I am confused.

It will only wrk if you buy new axles, special adapters, etc.....you could buy 4 231's from jeeps for what it would cost you to use the chevy unit

IcedXJ said:
well here is my setup

5.7L SBC --> 700r4/th350 --> NP231 (from a Jeep) --> Ford 9"rear / Dana 30 front

that should work with a clocking ring for the 231

83_1_b.JPG

Back