• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puzzling door problem?

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 xj sport, Problem (just started about a week ago)
when the front passenger door is closing , about 6 inches from being shut it starts makes a metal creaking sound? Does not do it when opening and door does not sag or need lifted to close. And does not do it when fully opened untill you get to about 6 inches close to being shut.

My door pin is great
The door mechanism i unhooked and it still did the sound when shutting, so it's not that.
everything is greased and lubed.
The door does not touch metal on the bottom of door jam either.
door works great, and shuts fine.
does anyone have any ideal what this slight creaking could be or where it might come from. It sounds like it is coming from the lower front part of the door , but can't really tell, when listening on outside of door. I have greased the hinges and all moving parts and does not make any differance in the noise at all.
Any thoughts would be great. I have run out of ideals.

I had this exact same squeak, which drove me nuts.

I know you said the door was not touching the jamb. But try spraying some lube along the outer bottom edge of the door. I did this and the squeak disappeared.

Mine did that...it turned out to be the "stop", the flat bar that prevents the door from being opened too far. I sprayed some grease on it and it quieted down.

I had the same problem, cleaning out the stop as mentioned and greasing it fixed the problem, its been a few months now and its still fine. Granted, my door is also a little off the hinge, but the problem was in fact the stop.

What Door Stop are you guys talking about, not quite sure where you mean?
do you have a pic of that.
Is it on the body by the hinges? or you mean on the door mechanism? in the door.

And can this be changed or fixed , instead of just oiled? Is it a big problem to fix.?

TBCherokee said:
What Door Stop are you guys talking about, not quite sure where you mean?
do you have a pic of that.
Is it on the body by the hinges? or you mean on the door mechanism? in the door.

And can this be changed or fixed , instead of just oiled? Is it a big problem to fix.?

The "Door check"... also known (in my 2k FSM) as the "Door Restraint". It's the mechanism that gives the door it's "detents"... so it stays in place when opened, etc. As I posted in another thread a few minutes ago (after searching, and NOT finding this one!), mine just gave up as well. It began with the loud creaking... but the pin decided to pop loose yesterday!

When it failed on my '97 Stratus, it was a "broken part". Nothing could be repaired. I presume this is the same part... because Chryslers have had their characteristic creak for decades.....

Den

It is between the two hinges. IMHO it is a good idea to make certain it works, it only takes one real good gust of wind to whip open your door and break the hinge weld or worse.

Back