• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evap Canister All Hacked Up?

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
I was doing an oil change today and noticed this....

evap1.jpg

evap2.jpg

evap4.jpg

I never noticed this before. There are 3 holes on the top of the canister, one of which seems to have gone through the hose fitting. It seems like someone took a saw and/or drill bit to this sucker. What the heck is going on???

I don't haven't thrown any codes and the gas mileage seems normal...so confused...

I was thinking squirrels because the ignition kill switch on my motorcycle has similar weird scratch marks...but those round holes are too perfect...hmm...

I was just looking around and noticed this post...
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1302294&postcount=14
with this picture...
1.jpg

My 97 XJ, bought brand new from dealer in NH, doesn't even have the emissions control sticker on it. Looking at that, my XJ doesn't even have the leak detection pump and the port on the canister for it is plugged. The broken hose you see in my pics is the hose that should go to the purge solenoid. The other hose on the purge solnoid goes directly to the intake manifold instead of the throttle body. WTF, why is mine so different...? I'm guessing NH vehicles don't require leak detection since I've never thrown any codes, so the ECM must be modified...?

Ok, I still have no clue how/why my old vapor canister got so hacked up. I got a replacement from the dealer for $45 today and it took about 1 hour to install.

Back