• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird sensor

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
97 TJ, 4.0L, AX15, NP231

i pulled the tranny, and i noticed a sensor or something hanging there. it has a little round clip on it like the fuel injectors do.

the clip is sitting around the center of the sensor, but the sensor doesn't have any plugs or anything. i didn't even see it when i was unplugging everything. i just noticed it now that i'm getting ready to hang the tranny back in.. it almost looks like the battery temp sensor, but it over the tranny, and i can't figure out what it's for, or if i have to place/lay it in a certain location when i put the tranny back in. i looked all over the net and searched all the forums. i also looked through the sensor and connector diagrams in alldata, i can't find anything. here is the info i got off the sensor:

this is on the top of the sensor
5600 9078
ITT Cannon
024-0092-000
9635-0967

this is on the side of the sensor
086-0058-000
9634-0930

The only sensor that I know of that would be in there, would be the crank position sensor. If thats it, try to start the engine. If it doesnt start, that should be it.Actually, turn it over, and look for codes. That would probably let you know what it is. Happy hunting

it's not the CPS sensor. all my "normal" sensor are accounted for. this one doesn't attach to anything that i can tell. it has no bolts, no attachment points, no wear marks indicating that it was attached to anything. i have no clue what it is. it's just hanging there.

my speedo connects to the sensor in the t-case output shaft. i have that plug accounted for too.

any other ideas???

found the answer.

somebody on another forum identified it as the torque converter clutch solenoid. i then matched that information and wiring diagram colors to mine, and that's it. i didn't even think to look for automatic tranny sensor since it's a manual.

Back