• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new Lincoln welder

GirlScout1

NAXJA Forum User
Well my Lincoln 135 arrived today and I'm not overly happy. I started to rig it all up and went to feed the wire into the roller and it's running backwards! That's right, when I pull the trigger the wire direction is heading back towards the spool. Needly to say I was not very happy when I discovered this and contacted the vendor. Haven't heard back yet but it looks like I will get a new welder to replace my new welder! Go figure, I had a couple projects lined up and I was really hoping to get in some practice on a bunch of scrap before I dove in Monday...looks like thatwon't happen.

Yup that was the first thing I tried. I figure since that didn't work then it must be the way the feederotor is wired.

Can the wires on the wire-drive motor be reversed?
If it is a DC motor, this should fix it.

Lets us know how it works. I was looking at the reconditioned ones at HF.

I got it going! Basically I figured if I have a Jeep that is worth alot more than a welder and I'm willing to do some stuff to that, why not open it up. I called a bud of mine who is an electrican and asked his advice on what would make the feeder run backwards. Basically he said if it is a DC motor than backwards wiring would make it run backwards...on the other hand if its AC I stand a good chance of frying it. So after a little more talk and saying well it's a DC welder so it MUST be a DC motor I stitched it on and it ran right! I'm stoked now that it's going. Still need to mess with everything to tune it in. When I first turned on the gas and started running it, it was real erratic. I turned it down to about 15 on the gauge and it is running better. Wish I had the 2x4 for my sliders now

MyJeepXJ said:
Sounds like someone didnt go to the local community college and take a basic class on welding first. :)
Hey I've been to Harvard...well at least I use to party there anyways. But no, I have been taught through friends and self taught. Still learning and will never be perfect though I did find that it should be about 10 LPM.

You can learn more in 2 days at the VoTech school than you will learn in a year fidding with it yourself! I got my job welding because I took a class, it was a major help! Then again, 2 years on the job taught me 100X as much, but the class is going to be a big help! Since you want to Harrrrrvard :) you should be able to look up a class out the phone book ad go take one! And its fun to boot!!

Good luck, you got a good welder. Now you just need to become a good weldor. :)

ANdrew

one bit of advise, DEDICATED 20 AMP CIRCUT. and a heavy duty extention cord if you need to move away from the socket. other than that its a killer machine for the small XJ stuff. and practise practise practise:laugh3:

Thanks for all the help and input guys. I want to take a class but right now it's just not possible with my work load. I will try this summer but I have 2 good friends that have been woring with me. To address some bits of advice:

20 AMP breaker: It's good to have a friend who is an electrician. Hey put in a 30 amp one for me. Also gave me a HD cord as well. Think it's an 8 ga.

I did some welding with it today here are a couple pics:

Sorry about the focus.

Last edited:
looks pretty good, cant tell if theres enough/any penitration from here, looks to be a little too much filler, if you have the option, crank the heat up one more click, if thats all the welder can put out, turn down the wire feed some and slow down some, the small migs dont do all that well on thick stuff, so you gotta go slow, real slow. with my big welder (miller 251) i can lay a bead in 1/4" like its nothing, the welder will burn through the 1/4" on the highest setting if im not hauling ass, but my 110v welder at home (lincoln 125 i think) it takes me about 5 min to lay 3" bead in 1/4"

Well I have tweaked and played with it quite a bit and found running it on D-6.5 or so I really need to be moving along for the beads. I have some scrap and I get out there at least 3 times a week and run some beads. across plain plate or joining scraps together. Always trying to stop on the end so I can see what kind of penetraion. Have been playing with it to work on that 50% penetration and control. So far it's coming along. I need to pick up a roll of flux core too so I can practice with that.

GirlScout1 said:
Well I have tweaked and played with it quite a bit and found running it on D-6.5 or so I really need to be moving along for the beads. I have some scrap and I get out there at least 3 times a week and run some beads. across plain plate or joining scraps together. Always trying to stop on the end so I can see what kind of penetraion. Have been playing with it to work on that 50% penetration and control. So far it's coming along. I need to pick up a roll of flux core too so I can practice with that.
Along the edge of a plate there is less metal for the heat to disapate into. It'll look like more penetration than you're actually getting because the weld heat will be more concentrated. Cut across the weld, or bend the joint apart (providing you only welded one side of the joint) so the other side is being spread open.

Yeah, flux core is not as cool as gas. If you have a small 110v welder the flux core will give you better penetration. I’ve ran a ton of flux core through my MIG machine. I think it does a better job; the only problem is that you have to go back and clean up the slag before you can paint it.

Back