• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Single (electric) disconnect swaybar?

TiRod

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and found more crack smoke than what I'm looking for, but haven't I seen or read about an electric disconnect swaybar? It had a solenoid operated spline coupler centered on a tubular "bar" and operated by a switch on the dash.

Yeah, I do live in the 417 area code, no, I am not on meth.

If this thing was hooked into the speed sensor it could operate automatically to disconnect below a safe speed, and a spring load to connect for a fail-safe mode for liability.

I'd take one cable operated.

I hate to answer my own posts, and I hate to find the answer when I could have looked 5 minutes longer. JP magazine reports on the new JK - "ASBS will be new — as in Active Sway Bar System, an electronic disconnect, similar to what's on the Dodge Power Wagon. "

So, who could offer the same for the XJ? JKS should get on this as DC is going to poke a hole in future income with this.

I know someone that got his hands on an Electric Disconnect Sway Bar from a new Power Wagon and is working on adapting it to his XJ. He pretty much has it figured out. He has the prototype. I am hoping once he gets it figured out he can hook me up so to speak.

When the JK came out, dealerships were selling the sway bar and disconnect unit for something like $80 due to an error in their databases. Stock quickly disappeared, and Mopar "fixed the glitch". IIRC, they sell for over $1,000 now through the dealership parts counter.

Might be worth seeking out a Power Wagon or JK, but in either case you'll need to do a bit of fabrication. Can't find the URL, but a guy did rig his XJ with one a while back.

Bump! I've researched this a little and have only found the expensive ones made for Rubis. I would LOVE to do this, as I often pull off the road and right on to whatever I feel like. Lol.

Bump! I've researched this a little and have only found the expensive ones made for Rubis. I would LOVE to do this, as I often pull off the road and right on to whatever I feel like. Lol.

My recommendation would be to take the many hours of fabrication and wiring work that this mod will require and apply it to some tread lightly literature. From the one or two people who received the JK swaybar during the pricing glitch, wiring it up was still a pain. When I had more time that I knew what to do with, I thought that this was an interesting mod. Since then I purchased JKS quicker discos and accepted the fact that it takes less than 60 seconds to disco the front swaybar, and my current discos are much less prone to failure than any solution that requires solenoids, motors, wiring, etc.

I run my xj 6" long arm and 35" tires with out a sway bar it doesn't drive bad with out it . Try it it would save you a decent amount of money and time
just mt 2 cents

I run my xj 6" long arm and 35" tires with out a sway bar it doesn't drive bad with out it . Try it it would save you a decent amount of money and time
just mt 2 cents

I run an 8" longarm without sways! Yeah on an XJ, the leafs stabilize it plenty IMO. My rig has been my DD for over a year.

DC WAS SELLING THE ELECTRIC SWAY BAR FOR HOW MUCH!! Man, should have jumped on that!

EDIT: was just checking out the JKS site. Who is gonna drop a grand on there "switchblade" swaybar, when they can get the electric one from the dealer?

Last edited:
for all you people who run no sway bar on your so called daily driver... how often are you honestly over 70mph? even 50 is a little scary with some side winds, and i couldnt imagine 2-3 hour drives (much less the 15 hour treks i do) without a sway bar.

im with "Markos", im able body, not particularly wealthy, and like to keep this simple. ill stick with quick disconnects and pins. no worries. though i am interested in the anti-rock... haha

Took mine to moab and back from denver, no sway bars no problem. I dont really enjoy driving the jeep on the highways, but thats cause its not a sports car.

for all you people who run no sway bar on your so called daily driver... how often are you honestly over 70mph? even 50 is a little scary with some side winds, and i couldnt imagine 2-3 hour drives (much less the 15 hour treks i do) without a sway bar.

im with "Markos", im able body, not particularly wealthy, and like to keep this simple. ill stick with quick disconnects and pins. no worries. though i am interested in the anti-rock... haha

Betcha this rig runs no swaybars.........
257gdci.jpg

Anti-rock is the way to roll......well worth the investment, handles nice on the road and off.

^^^ That jeep is gonna be running no rear springs in a minute if he keeps those blocks!

And I drive my XJ on the highway all the time. 75MPH is probably as fast as it will go. My front 8" Rustys coils are pretty stiff. And the wider track of of the D60's helps.

However, If I forget to connect the front sway on my sisters WJ or my dads TJ... I know right away!

I drive from Yakima WA to Portland OR and back about once every 6 weeks or less (about 200 miles each way). I go through the Gorge (supposed to be one of the wind surfing capitals in the US). I have a lead foot and usually drive 70 MPH+. Its usually raining in the Portland area too, and I run no swaybars and feel plenty comfortable at 6.5 inches and 35s. But I am still working on designing a cable or pneumatic swaybar disco, specifically for when I convert the rear to coils.

I tried driving with no sway bars on for a while. My alignment went all to hell and handling didn't exist. Lol. I didn't say anything about illegal wheeling. I did enough of that when I was a teenager. Lol.

Back