• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck Tires!!!!

20cherokee00

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my 2000 XJ in apr 05, This is the first time I removed them and i couldn't.... I mean i removed the lugs and went to pull them off but i couldn't. it ended up taking two of us to pull them off. come to find out the area right behind the tire had rusted to the rim! I know that's not good, but what can i do to correct it?

Thanks!

And wait'll you come to do the brake discs. Hope you've got a good puller handy...

Aluminum or Steel Wheels?

If its aluminum, its probably differential metal corrosion, it tends to stick them together.

If its steel, hopefully they spent a lot of time wet to create the corrosion. If it was heat, then not only are your Brake Rotors stuck to the hub, most likely your wheel bearing took some abuse.

I wouldn't worry too much, lots of people have wheels rust on, and never suffer any other problems.

Be conservative with the Anti-Sieze, you slather it all over and its going to sling all over and make a horrible mess, and could create some break problems if it gets in the rotors/pads. Rub it on, then wipe it off, you only need a lite film all over for it too do its job.

casm said:
And wait'll you come to do the brake discs. Hope you've got a good puller handy...

I'm in a chrysler/dodge/jeep parts dept and our jeep mechanic(22 years experience) works right in front of the parts dept. Gets them(rotors) off every day with a BFH. Scotchbrite's the inside of them, and then coats with thin smear coat of rtv. Works every time.

The rotors on an XJ will pop right off. Just wait until you have to do a hub!

By the way, if you ever have the problem of stuck wheels again, and if the vehicle is runnable (in other words, if there's air in the tires and the brakes work), here's something that's worked for me: Back off the lug nuts slightly. Not very much, just enough to unseat the tapers of the lugs, maybe 1/8 inch. Then drive forward or back and hit the brake. It will snap the rust bond without damaging the wheel.

Had to beat the buggers off the TJ rear axle, used a big deadblow, took about 20 or so whacks, whack 1/4 turn, whack 1/4 turn, whack 1/4 turn left the lugs on but loose, had it up on the lift and didn't want to have to go chasing it across the shop floor..
When they went back on after doing the brakes I put a thin coat of copper anti-seize...which I also used when I did the front axle universals to make the hubs easier next time..

Back