• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have been doing some research on axles to swap

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
I think I have found soemmm good candidates.........besides the standard 8.75 with ddrop ou third, a very stout axle and good afterrmarket suport and numberous.........several hundred thousand out there......and 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern....the big block cars of the below listed many came with a 35 spline dana 60 as an option..........Im in the process of attempting to aquire such an axle as I write this..........Imagine a bolt in correct width dana 60

B-body models include:59.5 " wilde
1965-70 Plymouth Belvedere, 1965-74 Plymouth Satellite, 1968-74 Plymouth Road Runner, 1970 Plymouth Superbird, 1967-71 Plymouth GTX, 1965-74 Dodge Coronet, 1968-71 Dodge SuperBee, 1966-74 Dodge Charger, 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

C-body models include: 60.5" side
All 1965-74 full-size Chrysler models (Newport, New Yorker, Imperial), 1965-74 full size Dodge and Plymouth models (Polara, Monaco, Fury, Sport Fury, etc.)

I've recently been looking at the same thing. According to my findings, the mid 69' to 70' B-body D60's are 1.5" dia axles, 35 spline, 4.5" bp, 59.5" wide. Talk about a nice bolt in! 70' to 72' E bodies are bit wider at 61".

Here's some good info:
http://www.autohobbydigest.com/dana.html

Just last week saw a 69.5 B body D60 on E-bay with 5.13 gears and 35 spline axles, minus brakes, go for about $800. And I was an idiot for not bidding on it!

i was just wondering what a dana 60 would do to your ground clearance. i mean arent the pumpkins bigger than the 8.25 and the d35. would it make that much of a difference
(sorry for the thread hijack)

aussiewheeler said:
i was just wondering what a dana 60 would do to your ground clearance. i mean arent the pumpkins bigger than the 8.25 and the d35. would it make that much of a difference

Yep, the 60 is bigger but only hangs about 3/4" lower than the D44 I currently have, if I recall correctly. With 35" + tires I think it's a non issue compared to the gain in strength. I can't see using a D60 for smaller than 35" tires though. Then a 60 is overkill and clearance becomes an issue. Although like every other mod, it all depends on what you plan to do with your Jeep.

those D60's are worth big bucks to the Mopar guys

Dana 35 splined axles are also found in years 79-91 in Ford fullsize vans, 2wd superduty's and some chevy trucks(2wd drive as well). There is even documention of a D60 35 spline 5 on 5, I think one of the J series trucks had it (4000 something).

robz95xj said:
those D60's are worth big bucks to the Mopar guys

Yeah, I'm sure a serious collector would be aghast to find out a "rare" D60 out of a Hemi Roadrunner is under a Jeep getting pounded on the rocks! It's cool to see there's other potential axle swaps out there.

Weasel said:
Dana 35 splined axles are also found in years 79-91 in Ford fullsize vans, 2wd superduty's and some chevy trucks(2wd drive as well). There is even documention of a D60 35 spline 5 on 5, I think one of the J series trucks had it (4000 something).

but not right width or bolt pattern........the 8 3/4 can be built massive also if you use a spool......up to 40 spline axles

xjnation said:
but not right width or bolt pattern........the 8 3/4 can be built massive also if you use a spool......up to 40 spline axles

No, but for alot of other people that doesn't matter. So the 8.75" is a D60 or a mopar axle? What about gear and locker selections? Spool only?

Weasel said:
No, but for alot of other people that doesn't matter. So the 8.75" is a D60 or a mopar axle? What about gear and locker selections? Spool only?

many options but no sleectable's at this point....it shares the axle ends with dana 60's also detroit, tractech, all make lockers for it in 30 splone configuration, they use one carrier for all gears fron 2:26 up to 5:38's

the dana 60 is a stout axle but remember you do lose some trtength when you go to a semi floater set up as full floating axles are stronger by taking the inital weight load of the vehicle off the axle shaft.

ttu.or said:
the dana 60 is a stout axle but remember you do lose some trtength when you go to a semi floater set up as full floating axles are stronger by taking the inital weight load of the vehicle off the axle shaft.

oh yeah as if thats a worry with 35 spline axles, a loss of 10% and a gain of 200% over stock LOL

Be careful with those '80's and early '90's D-60's. If they have 3.55 gears it's very possible it;s a D-61(if it has 3.07's it or 3.08 it's defintiely a D-61)...not much aftermarket for them.

if it has 3.73 or higher it;s a D-60 for sure.

043500 said:
Be careful with those '80's and early '90's D-60's. If they have 3.55 gears it's very possible it;s a D-61(if it has 3.07's it or 3.08 it's defintiely a D-61)...not much aftermarket for them.

if it has 3.73 or higher it;s a D-60 for sure.

that has nothing to do with axles from the 60's and 70's does it?

I don't believe so. The D-61 was 'invented' in the 80's in order to be able to run the 3.07 gears for fuel mileage reasons...it is found with 3.55's also which is why you need to be sure it's a D-60 and not the 61. It's virtually impossible to know which is which (D-60 vs D-61) unless you have the BOM and can look it up. (or if it has 3.07 gears for sure)

D-61 I thougth was behind Ford's only, it's pinion is offset a bit from a regular D60. So if it's not a ford vehicle I don't think you have to worry. I can try to check tonight but I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Back