• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30 gallon Aero fuel tank, anyone have one?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I called them today inquiring about an increased capacity fuel tank. Aero Tanks make a 30 gallon tank that will fit my 1996 Cherokee. Cost is $517 + shipping with a 20 day wait. My stock tank is destroyed (but works), and it's $425 for a new one, so an extra $100 really isn't bad.

For an extra $89, they could weld on a 16 gauge steel skid plate. Anyone else think this would not be beefy enough?? Should I do more like 3/16ths thick steel?

How does the installation on these go? All needed parts included? Do the tank straps have to be modified?

I have an AJs rear bumper which uses nut strips to tie it into the unibody rails. Would these interfere when mounting the tank?

Is this a quality product? I was looking at the one Rocky Road sells but it's only for a '95 and earlier.

Right now the only down fall I can see would be the 1.5" clearance loss. How difficult would it be to mount the tank higher up, maybe a few inches into the cargo area? That way I might actually gain some clearance. Would I just simpily need to pound the floor up, or perhaps cut around the tank? If I were to cut the body around the tank would it be a good idea to weld it back to it? I don't suppose anybody has any pictures of them doing this?

rember it's not just the bottom of the tank that will see an impact the top will also feel the hit and may need to be strengthened. that price you mentioned for a stock new tank was that from the jeep dealership or aftermarket.

i beleive the reason why they say 95 is because 96 is the cutoff year between the two styles some of the stuff made in the later year may have the 97 style tank.

if it were me i would go to a junk yard and find a nice clean tank and swap out mine and then buy a good skid . prob come out much cheeper.

I have one in my '90. Came with everything, bolted right in. I can lift the back of the Jeep with a jack in the center of the tank...no problem. I have beat the snot out of it, and it has never complained.

Rev

The $425 price is for a new tank from the dealer. The junk yard already wants a couple hundred for a used tank.

Plus I only get 10mpg and do a lot of driving, so the extra capacity would really be nice. I just don't want my wheelin to be affected.

Rev Den, do you have a skid plate on your tank when you jack it up?

But anyone else agree 16ga is a little on the thin side for a skid?

I looked on JC whitney's website and didnt see a tank for a Cherokee.

How hard would it be to cut a big hole on my cargo area floor and mount the tank say 2 inches inside? Then I could have a "box" welded to the floor covering the top of the tank.

I have the aero tank in my 98'. I don't think it has the extra skid (but it might) I have draged it around and there are no dents in it. Took some work to make it work with the fuel delivery for the 98' but working good now.
Had it in my 89' for 10 years, it has now been in the 98' for 3 years. And I think it holds more then 30but my gauge says it is below empty so I fill and I have put in 31-32 gals.

$517 is alot of money, don;t know if anyone is watching this but I just got mine from Aero for $398 + $73 shipping.

Why not replace the tank with a JY one and install a skid plate - Then mount some jerry cans on your rear bumper/gate. Jerry cans are cool, and it makes it easier to help someone else out.

Nobody makes one for anything newer the the 95 because of obdII nody want to pay for the research. You can take an aero tank and modify it with the Hesco fuel pump and regulator, you stock sender can be bent and reintalled on the pickup for the areo tank, you will have topoke 2 more wires through if you put the pump in the tank, I ran mine external for a few years but continued to burn out pumps so Iput a mustang pump in the tank hanging on the aero pick up which is designd for in the tank pump. I also split the return line in the tank so it would shower the pump and keep it cool, been going about a year now with no problems.

90Pioneer, did you search on http://www.car-part.com/ ?
i searched metro detroit and there is tons (i would say well over 100 listed) of them for $19 - $65.

also check out why your only getting 10 mpg, thats TERRIBLE! unless you drive a very heavy lifted rig and drive like 75-80 mph. You should get 15-16 mpg. Are you geared properly.

heres the link to the detroit search, wont do ya much good since they cant ship gas tanks as far as i know thats pick up only.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...=price&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=3

Back