• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whose running 33's with 3.55 gears?

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
I finaly looked to see what I have in the jeep and the sticker on the axle tube says I've got 3.55's now with 31's but I would like to go to 33's~

whose runnin 33's with the 3.55 ratio? I would like to go 4.88's and 35's but that aint happenin.

L.R.

I ran it for about two years and then regeared to 4.56's. With 3.55's it's a dog. Every little hill it struggles and the gas mileage is horrible. With the 4.56's there is nice power, but to be honest I think that 4.88's with 33's would be better.

Sometimes grabbing junkyard axles already geared to 4.10 can be cheaper than regearing your current axles. Depending on the specifics of your Jeep, it can also be an opportunity to upgrade in strength.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

I noticed your profile says 99, so there's no huge upgrades in the driveline area for you (not bolt-in at least). You've already got the good U-joints and rear axle. So if you want to go the junkyard route, make sure you aren't downgrading in strength.
Jeep on!
--Pete

When I first bought my MJ it had 33" tires and the previous owner said he had regeared it to 3.73 gears. Well being the dummy I am, I never checked the gears but would sometimes notice that the power just wasn't there. I just chalked it up to a tired 4.0 engine.

Well later I regeared to 4.88 and lockers and found out it still had 3.55 gears!!
With a 4.0 that had over 250k on it at that point, it was a DOG!

After the 4.88 swap my highway RPM's were way high, like over 3000 so it made for a good excuse to convince the wife I needed new 35" tires!!

I swapped to 4.88's huge difference. the 3.55's were'nt cutting it, I could barely keep up in traffic. If you like the slow lane, no power, and keeping it out of OD then yeah 3.55's are great.

I don't mind it. 16 mpg and can hang at 75 mph all day long.

'Course, that's also with a 5-speed, leaving it in 4th gear. :)

Probably doesn't help much. FWIW, that would have been almost the exact equivalent of 4.56s in 5th gear, so I guess I would like to have 4.56s instead. I would have done it already if I were keeping these axles for any length of time.

3.55's - 33x10.5R15 BFG/MT. Anything wider and i'd regear. My BFG's with Black Steelies; weigh in @ 72lbs each, my 31x10.5R15 Cooper S/T's weighed in @ 70lbs each with the stock sport rims. I tend to keep it in 3rd instead of O/D unless i'm on the highway doing 120kph. i do have a strong engine though (original owner of my 96) so i know it's maintained, and quite well if i say so myself! It's liveable with 3.55's if you stay narrow. When i have the cash i'll go to 4:56's though, i want to light those BFG's! Damn money grubbing Jeep! lol

i have 32 tsl on mine and the auto would just keep changing for o.d to third , while trying to maintain the speed limit , and i would dare take my old 88 any faster stuff would fall off , so i had to drive in third to maintain around 80 kms or 50 miles whatever you prefer

X2, same here.
gmanxj said:
I ran it for about two years and then regeared to 4.56's. With 3.55's it's a dog. Every little hill it struggles and the gas mileage is horrible. With the 4.56's there is nice power, but to be honest I think that 4.88's with 33's would be better.

I ran 33's with 3.07's so youll be a little better off with 3.55's...but not much. Im currently running 33's with 4.88s and wouldnt have it any other way. Cruises down the highway at 70 turning right around 2900 RPM with the 5 speed and gets 17 or so MPG. The difference is night and day off-road.

i run 33's with 3.50's and its great - just like stock with 235's and 3.07's

I get about 16 mpg...

i've been doing this for quite some time, and i am upgrading to 4.56 tomorrow!

i think the only thing i will miss is getting 17-18 on the freeway with the transmission on the POWER setting and in overdrive.

Been running 33" TrXus and 3.55 gears for a couple of years and the best I can say about it is that its tolerable.Pretty good highway mileage but in town sucks ass.No problem doing 80+ mph just takes a while to get up to that speed.I haven't had any real issues on the trail.Time to go bigger though-got my 35" MT/Rs sitting in my shop waiting for 4.56 gears.

with 3.55's and 33's I got around 12-14 average, and with the 4.56's and 33's my city was about 16 and highway at about 18. But I still would have liked 4.88's on the highway, for a little bit more power.

yeah i have 3.54 and 3.55 cause of the chrysler 8.25 and dana 30 but yeah it sucks horribly. it struggles up hill and when you do get goin up a hill you just know that fuel is dumpin into your engine. im goin to 4.56's when i get the money though for sure

Back