• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick brake question

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
what size wrench/socket do you use to bleed the fronts. i used a 3/8's and it worked but it seemed to big. 10mm was to big and 9 too small.

3/8 is what my 97TJ uses. i also just went and checked a set of 89 front calipers i had laying in the garage and they were also 3/8.

i don't know if it changes with different years. i think my 95XJ is the same but it's not here right now so i can't check.

I just bled the brakes on my '95. 3/8" is correct, the bleeder screw has a very narrow hex head, the wrench can rock back and forth easily and feel like its loose.

I replaced the stock bleeders with Speed Bleeders, the hex head is much wider, although the same size Flat side to Flat side, the 3/8" wrench doesn't rock back and forth.

Rick Anderson said:
I just bled the brakes on my '95. 3/8" is correct, the bleeder screw has a very narrow hex head, the wrench can rock back and forth easily and feel like its loose.

I replaced the stock bleeders with Speed Bleeders, the hex head is much wider, although the same size Flat side to Flat side, the 3/8" wrench doesn't rock back and forth.

do you mean those one man bleeders with the one way check valve??? how did they work??? i was thinking about putting a set of those on mine since i usually don't have anybody around to help me bleed brakes.

I have the speed bleeders too, going to put them on the TJ when the time comes.

scorpio_vette said:
do you mean those one man bleeders with the one way check valve??? how did they work??? i was thinking about putting a set of those on mine since i usually don't have anybody around to help me bleed brakes.
Yes, I have them on all my vehicles, they are AWESOME. Bleeding brakes is so much easier and faster with these things. You can order them online, or you can usually find them in your local parts store in the "HELP!" section. The "HELP!" brand, has "Speed Bleeders" and "One Person Brake Bleeders" on the blister pack. For the "HELP!" brand at your local parts store, they only sell the 2 most popular sizes for bleeder screws with the speed bleeders, those sizes are what is used front/rear on most XJ's.

If you need other sizes, you'll probably have to order them online. I payed $20 for all 4 at my local auto store.

When you have them, bleed your brakes every year, enough to flush out all the old fluid and replace it with new fluid. I do this on all my vehicles. My last Caravan, a '91, had 230k miles on it and it never needed any brake work other than pads/shoes/rotors. I rebuilt all the brake components, just as a precautionary measure at 200k and 11 years of age, it was totally unecessary, all the internals and seals on the brake parts were in great shape and didn't need any work. I'm sure flushing the fluid, removing the contaminants and moisture and replacing it with fresh fluid had a LOT to do with that condition of the brakes after such a long time.

Last edited:
Back