• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS on trans swap

partsxj

NAXJA Forum User
New b here. I have searched and advanced searched trying to find about the CPS. Do you use the crank sensor that fits on the trans or do you adapt your old one? Thinking of a NSG 370 to replace a BA10. Only because I have one. The CPS is different but does the same thing, Right? Or wrong? TIA, I have learned very much here.

partsxj said:
New b here. I have searched and advanced searched trying to find about the CPS. Do you use the crank sensor that fits on the trans or do you adapt your old one? Thinking of a NSG 370 to replace a BA10. Only because I have one. The CPS is different but does the same thing, Right? Or wrong? TIA, I have learned very much here.
:dunno:
what are you doing?

When I swapped an NV 3550 in place of my BA10, I used the original CPS and flywheel from the BA10. The CPS location on the NV was the same as the BA so it bolted up and works fine.

If the CPS location on the NSG is in the same location as the BA and the BA CPS bolts up, then you should be able to do the same thing.

If the CPS location on the NSG is not in the same location as the BA, then you'll need to use the CPS and flywheel from the NSG. The NSG CPS might have a different plug on it, but you should be able to splice it to make it work.

Good luck! That's a nice swap if it works out.

You have to use the corresponding Flywheel/Flexplate & CPS for the model year computer/electrical system you are running. (Renix, OBDI, OBDII)
The cps/flywheel control the ignition timing/firing.

jfiscus said:
You have to use the corresponding Flywheel/Flexplate & CPS for the model year computer/electrical system you are running. (Renix, OBDI, OBDII)
The cps/flywheel control the ignition timing/firing.

Which means he can't use the NSG flexplate or sensor. From the pics at
http://jeephorizons.com/news/nsg370.html, I don't see a hole in the bellhousing where the Renix/ODBI sensor would normally sit.

Back